Observations for the new folks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Bama BBQ,

Thanks for the advice, and I will take it.  Us newbies have to be humble, because we really don't know what we are doing.  But in time I will be passing on this same type of information to the new newbies. 

Originally Posted by S2K9K   [h3]edited post[/h3]
38x38px-ZC-84cf1503_download.jpg

S2K9K
Yesterday at 8:39 pm

Black,
I just wanted to let you know I had to edit one of your posts and delete a link. As per @TulsaJeff and our User Guidelines, offsite links are not permitted to be posted on this forum.
Here is a link to the edited post:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/139323/stx-turboforce-3000-series-grinder#post_1074283
Thank You for understanding,
Moderator Team
That's OK, edit my posts as you like
Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif

Last edited:
Excellent Post Bama,

I really love #8. I'll probably never do any comps because to me, cooking to eat vs. cooking for comps are just too vastly different (seeing the pound of brown sugar and squeeze butter on ribs makes me gag).

One thing I don't have to worry about is that it turns out perfect.  After 30 years of marriage my husband will eat pretty much anything I put in front of him.  Trial and error are a wonderful way to learn.  I would like to reach semi-perfection though... :)

I'd like to add to this observation:

Don’t get carried away reading absolutely everything you can find about BBQ (or anything else for that matter) on the Internet. Besides the conflicting information, you will get overwhelmed and talk yourself right out of the hobby.

Reactions: cathy l
Well, I've stopped reading (for now) and actually 'built' my first two fatties.  They are in the fridge waiting for the UPS guy to bring my smoker/grill.  Sort of putting the horse before the cart, but you can see that I'm excited!  I'm going a bit crazy waiting for my delivery.

I'd like to add to this observation:

Don’t get carried away reading absolutely everything you can find about BBQ (or anything else for that matter) on the Internet. Besides the conflicting information, you will get overwhelmed and talk yourself right out of the hobby.
Good advice right there!  Get a smallish bone in Boston Butt for your first smoke and go for it.  Any questions or doubts, post 'em up and we will get you through it
beercheer.gif

I see a lot of new folks around and would like to add a few simple observations in no particular order that may help our new friends.  This is not to sound preachy, just helpful observations.  Most of my posts have this theme in there somewhere.  Feel free to add others as you see fit.

1. You will get conflicting advice from people on TV, in cookbooks, on the internet, etc.  BBQing is a craft, and craftsmen often have differing opinions on the best way to do things.

2. Your own common sense is probably pretty good. Trust it. You'll find what works for you over a short time as you become a craftsman.

3. It's actually fairly difficult to ruin BBQ, so don't worry about it too much.  If craftsmen over hundreds of years have done it, you can, too.

4. BBQ cooking temp is a range.  Control your pit temp but really, anywhere plus or minus 25* is fine.  Don't chase temps.  Close enough is good enough.

5. Have patience. Give it the time it needs to cook without you watching, mopping, spritzing, etc every five minutes.

6. There are a bazillion gadgets and gizmos on the market.  Though they're fun to play with, very few are actually required to produce great BBQ.  A long lasting, clean burning fire and good technique is more important than expensive equipment.  Famous Dave started by cooking in a trash can.

7. Cook easy stuff first.  Try other's recipes before modifying them until you gain confidence.  Then feel free to experiment based on principles you've learned.

8. Backyard BBQ for your friends and family is not competition "one bite" BBQ.  You would not want a whole meal of competition BBQ.  Careful which recipe you use that you saw on Pitmasters.

9. Have fun.  Relax.  It's just cooking.  It's not suppose to be stressful.

10.  Cook to your family and friends preferences.  If they like fall off the bone ribs, cook them that way. If they like what you cook, you'll be asked to cook more.
 Very GOOD, TRUE advice! Numbers 4, 5 (especially 5!), 7, 9 and 10 are the best advice! I have lost count of how many times my wife's Granny has asked me to "bring some of them delicious ribs" over for dinner! My wife loves them and she wouldn't eat ribs at all before I started smoking!

Hello All: It is said that the 1st.step, is to admit addiction, so I am a SMOKER. I live in Ajax, Ontario,Canada and have just purchased a Masterbuilt 2 door propane smoker. Being a newbie, I may have declared too much about my addiction but I have been reading blogs and have a few friends that also are smokers so after about 2 years of this I finally decided to stop reading and start doing.I do have a question about salt. Most rubs and/or marinates contain a large amount of salt, due to doctors advice, I must eliminate this from my diet. Salt is used to enhance the flavor but is there any thing else that will pull the other spices together? I have heard that some places will inject papaya juice to break down the muscle but this will make the meat tender but not enhance the flavor.
Thanks....Postie

Low or no salt diets are a hard adjustment to make now days. Everything has a ton of salt in it. When we are asked to do no added salt food at work we will use a lot of herbs and spices. To help briten it up we will add some citrus juice or acids like vinegar. There are many cultural food that have some great rubs, marinades and even sauces that contain a ton of flavor and no salt. Look at some mediterranean, indian or even caribbean recipes. They all have a ton of flavor and very little to no salt. You may also get more bang for your buck with flavorful finishing sauces and basic rubs.

You are correct about the papaya. However it has to be fresh juice to tenderize. If it has been cooked in any way first the enzymes have been killed that tenderize. It is the same with pineapple also. But both can add flavor to the food.

Bama I agree 100%.......

It is just food. It is meant to be enjoyed at all steps. You have some guidelines to follow, but it is a very fluid and ever changing journey. Enjoy the ride because at the end you get to eat! :biggrin:

I see a lot of new folks around and would like to add a few simple observations in no particular order that may help our new friends.  This is not to sound preachy, just helpful observations.  Most of my posts have this theme in there somewhere.  Feel free to add others as you see fit.

1. You will get conflicting advice from people on TV, in cookbooks, on the internet, etc.  BBQing is a craft, and craftsmen often have differing opinions on the best way to do things.

2. Your own common sense is probably pretty good. Trust it. You'll find what works for you over a short time as you become a craftsman.

3. It's actually fairly difficult to ruin BBQ, so don't worry about it too much.  If craftsmen over hundreds of years have done it, you can, too.

4. BBQ cooking temp is a range.  Control your pit temp but really, anywhere plus or minus 25* is fine.  Don't chase temps.  Close enough is good enough.

5. Have patience. Give it the time it needs to cook without you watching, mopping, spritzing, etc every five minutes.

6. There are a bazillion gadgets and gizmos on the market.  Though they're fun to play with, very few are actually required to produce great BBQ.  A long lasting, clean burning fire and good technique is more important than expensive equipment.  Famous Dave started by cooking in a trash can.

7. Cook easy stuff first.  Try other's recipes before modifying them until you gain confidence.  Then feel free to experiment based on principles you've learned.

8. Backyard BBQ for your friends and family is not competition "one bite" BBQ.  You would not want a whole meal of competition BBQ.  Careful which recipe you use that you saw on Pitmasters.

9. Have fun.  Relax.  It's just cooking.  It's not suppose to be stressful.

10.  Cook to your family and friends preferences.  If they like fall off the bone ribs, cook them that way. If they like what you cook, you'll be asked to cook more.
So nice to read just good old simple observations (and instructions).....you had me at 1,2,3,5,8 and 9....love love love #9 so friggin' true.........thanks for sharing your observations Bama BBQ.

Josie - SmokinVegasBaby!

Good post, I went to a cook off a couple years ago.. Have you guys had it before? its way over the top for me, way to sweet or way to spicey, or way to salty or way to much vinegar or way to much of this and that and this and that didn't go to good together lol... just give me some good home style Que and im good to go... any good coach will tell you, when your struggling, go back to the basics ... now we have them listed 1 through 10

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky