Not sure what to do. Need advice / guidance

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ab canuck

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 20, 2016
Alberta Canada
  Well Saturday morning I filleted a salmon a friend gave me to do some candied salmon. Planned to brine for 12-18 hrs and then pull it rinse and put in smoker ( at work). Wouldn't you know things at work went upside down and hit the fan, On top of it I am switching from night shift to day shift and I will not be able to get the salmon in the smoker until probably late Monday night or Tuesday morning. I don't know if this will still be ok. It is in brine and in the fridge currently. Any Advice, guidance / suggestions would be appreciated. Thx.

Are you wet brining or dry brining the fish?

Honestly I don't like to let my fish brine (either method) longer than 8 hours. Usually gets too salty after that.

Not sure what the answer is. You could pull rinse, air dry for several days? Not sure this is a good answer either. Either way I think the texture of the fish will suffer.

Well it started out as a dry brine Brown sugar, Kosher salt, a bit of garlic and a splash of sririacha. I pulled it everything was coated and wet, Rinsed and am soaking now for a couple hrs. Texture still looks ok. I Will air dry and see what it looks like. Thx

How long did you end up brining it?  Also, what was the ratio of the salt over sugar?

I used 6 cups brown sugar 1 cup kosher salt in the mix. I tried my cross shifts version as I didn't have everything I needed here. It ended up being in it for around 54 hrs before I could get to it. . It's rinsed and soaked for a couple hrs. and drying. I will put on smoker this morning and see what happens. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky