noob question - do I need smoke all the time I am cooking?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I didn't ask and you didn't say how big around the splits your using are. Since your cooking with charcoal the wood is just for smoke flavor therefore you don't need a lot. Personally I would avoid the mesquite for awhile as it produces a very heavy smoke flavor. I would suggest splits maybe 9-12" long and 2-3" thick and try just one and see if you get that TBS (thin blue smoke) or smell the wood if not then add a second split. Not sure what your wood supply is like or how hard/ expensive it is to get but you could use chunks if that would be cheaper/easier to obtain.

Look up to the top right side of this page and click on the magnifying glass icon and type in "minion method" and check it out sounds like you may be using this or something close. If using chunks you can place some in with the charcoal as I think it explains this way as the charcoal ignites it ignites the flavoring wood hopefully as the last chunk is about done.
Hi pineywods - I'll look closer at the minion method. From the quick look I had this morning, I think it will be another improvement.

--Lakewood.

Hi Lakewood! I just remembered when I got my offset smoker YouTube really helped ease the learning curve, seeing someone on the screen is sometimes more comprehensive than reading instructions. This guy gives a fair representation of what you want to be doing in regard to getting a decent bed of coals and adding wood. Offsets are going to be different from each other and weather will always be a factor, I'd imagine a lot of your cooks will be in the 225º-280º range. Check out the video if you like, take what you want from it that you think might work for you. RAY

I love the video - thank you. For me, visual such as a video is very helpful. I'll be watching it again a couple of times to get as much as possible.

--Lakewood.

There is a great chapter on "Good smoke and bad smoke" in Aaron Franklin's book. Pineywoods nailed it, white smoke bad, TBS or none at all good. The book has great information on everything else BBQ when using an offset smoker, especially if you plan on getting into just burning wood.

Hi Heart of Dixie

Is the book titled:
Franklin BBQ: A Meat Smoking Manifesto
?

Been reading Aaron's book myself the last few days, it's a manifesto that anyone with a offset can benefit from. It's pictured on the right side of the screen if you might be interested. RAY
DSCN1397.JPG

I always say we want a small hot free burning fire rather than a large smoldering fire. Hot free burning fires will give you the clean taste you desire.

Personally I enjoy using pure wood in my cooks and not lump charcoal or briquettes but the premise is still the same. Hot free burning fires of the proper size to manage your heat/smoke.

Hi all

I forgot to take pictures - New Years day, we smoked a pork loin, using the ideas you all gave me, and it was awesome. Very tender and juicy and just the right amount of smoke flavor.
I think our meals in future will be a whole lot better. :)
Thank you all.
--Lakewood.

I always say we want a small hot free burning fire rather than a large smoldering fire. Hot free burning fires will give you the clean taste you desire. Personally I enjoy using pure wood in my cooks and not lump charcoal or briquettes but the premise is still the same. Hot free burning fires of the proper size to manage your heat/smoke.

Just a perfect post regarding offsets, all-time! RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky