No Smokin' Tonight - Confirmed Tornado 15 miles from here...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

5lakes

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Mar 12, 2010
Fairmont, MN
Wow, it's been a crazy evening here. The worst is over, hopefully. More than two inches of rain and a temp drop of more than 25 degrees in the last hour. Trees are down, flash floods, marble to golf ball size hail, etc. We are all safe here, thankfully.

However, the storm is about to hit where my boy lives with his girlfriend. Just talked to him and they are in a safe place now, ready to wait it out. If ya got a spare prayer for him, now would be a good time.... 
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

Dang glad to hear ya'll are ok and hope you hear from your son very soon that its past them and they are ok as well

Thanx guys. I'll wait till morning to get some pics. It's still raining with 30 mph winds right here. It's right over David's head right now. Not so bad, though. Gusts are 40 to 50 mph.

Sounds pretty mild compared to the stuff that we get around here.  Your son, et al, will be fine but praying for them anyway.
smile.gif

Mythmaster, yup, you guys get hammered a lot worse. Tell ya what, how 'bout I send ya a blizzard or two this winter?
biggrin.gif

ill take  a hurricane over a tornado anytime      at least we can prepare for the hurricane

Dang - that sounds nasty - glad you are OK

That is why I live in CALI

Dang - that sounds nasty - glad you are OK

That is why I live in CALI
Yeah, you only have to worry about unannounced earthquakes that suddenly kill everyone that you know without warning.  Been there, done that, got an autographed t-shirt, NO THANK YOU!
smile.gif

They're starting to show videos on the news. Homes with trees fallen into them, etc. A couple of towns without power. While bad, it's about 40 miles from here. One guy with a tree taking out his second floor commented "Some of our neighbors weren't as fortunate as us." No reports of injuries, yet. Looks like we got really lucky here.

You're VERY lucky if that tornado touched down anywhere near you.  Those things level out entire towns when they feel like it.  Most of them aren't as bad as they sound, though, and you just get some heavy wind damage from the surrounding storms -- breaking off tree branches like in the story that you just mentioned and causing roof damage and, of course, the hail damage to vehicles and what not.

While they are not completely understood, they are at least PREDICTABLE because they only occur in certain types of storm conditions.

I'm glad that you guys are OK, and I hope that you hear the same from your son.

Heard from my boy last night. All are safe there, No damage in his town, Not much here, other than flattened crops. North and east of here, sounds like they took a real beating. No reports of injuries or deaths, so that is good.

Glad to hear it, 5lakes!

Knowing that you're in a storm that has already produced a tornado or 5 can be pretty scary.

Wow, 5lakes, sounds like you had some nasty weather!  Glad everyone is okay.  
icon_cool.gif

They're starting to show videos on the news. Homes with trees fallen into them, etc. A couple of towns without power. While bad, it's about 40 miles from here. One guy with a tree taking out his second floor commented "Some of our neighbors weren't as fortunate as us." No reports of injuries, yet. Looks like we got really lucky here.

Glad to hear all are well out there!

We don't get much bad stuff around here. Probably the worst we get is an occasional bad Nor-Easter snow or ice storm. Very few small tornadoes, dying out hurricanes, a few floods around the Delaware River now & then, and other things like that, but nothing like a lot of you guys in other parts get.

BTW: Did I mention I'm not complaining??

Bearcarver

Glad to hear you got the good call from your son. Hope those affected by the damage recover quickly

Geez, another crazy evening...  Confirmed tornados northwest of here, anywhere from 20 to 70 miles from here. Our local tv station is reporting straight line winds in that area of 60+ mph. We got a serious thunderstorm and lots of rain. One boomer shook my house like I've never felt before. It had to have landed within a few blocks from here. The flash-bang ratio was less than two seconds. My boy is safe, just a lot of rain there. It's really heartwarming when he calls just to make sure I'm OK.

I did manage to get a mess of ABTs smoked early this afternoon. 40 jalepenos made into boats, cream cheese, shrimp, crab, cheddar, mozzarella cheeses and a bacon blanket. Took them to a graduation open house in my dutch oven. Again, no leftovers.

Still, my house is shaking from the continuing thunder... Time for another beer....
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky