Newbie - Bryce from Washington

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bryce

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
Olympia, Wa
Great forum, just my place! I'm not a newbie to smoked foods but rather to smoking food. I've been reading this forum for about 3 weeks (signed up for the newsletter and 5 step book) and basically, it's frickin awesome! After endless disappointments trying to find the right smoked food in my hometown, my wife and I decided we were going to have to take things into our (my) own hands to finally be able to feast on properly smoked food that taste good to us.

With that said, a couple weeks ago i ran out and purchased an inexpensive charcoal grill (Aussie $45.00). In addition, i picked up briquettes, a chimney starter, hickory chunks and an oven-safe thermometer. The way is see it is, if i can make good Q with this set up, i will run out and invest into high-quality equipment.

Here's my $45 grill. Pretty sure i will bump out of this within the next month once i decide what to purchase.

e9b6a12c_Grill.jpg

So far I've smoked 2 slabs of ribs, 2 pork shoulders (not sure what cut they were) and one brisket (flat only):

Ribs- OK, smokey, but need a better rub. I also didn't foil them at all. I think next time I will nail them. Will continue to research the "right" rub for my liking. Will also maybe try a foil wrap next time. I did mop them with a vinegar/apple juice mix.

Pork Shoulder- Fantastic! This was my second smoke ever. It was a 3.5lbs shoulder so it was small but boy did it turn out good; so good in fact, that the very next day we went out an bought another one and smoked that...back to back baby. The second one was a 4.5 lb'er. Both had awesome flavor and smoke ring and both were foil wrapped.

Brisket- Not very good. Dry and not too flavorfull and tough. I only purchased a 5.5 lb flat. Wasn't a total failure but so much that i'm right now trying to make burnt ends from the flat for practice.

Here's a couple pictures of the brisket

Not a very deep smoke ring. Cooked for 7 hrs and finally put into the oven until temp hit 190.

c6754071_Brisket.jpg

Here's my practice burnt ends about a 1/3 of the way through - little rub and bbq sauce

357e1da3_BurntEnds.jpg

Here they are finished. In the grill for 5 hrs. First 2 hrs they smoked, then i had to leave and they just sat there for 3 hrs.

4932ba85_Brisket2.jpg

Next time i will get pictures of the other meats. I just didnt get the shoulder and ribs this time. Also. i'm here to learn and appreciate feedback. Until i get a quality grill, i'm pretty limited.

Thanks,

Bryce

Welcome Bryce!

I used to have that same exact grill (gave it to my son-in-law a few months ago. I'm sure he's not taking proper care of it, but oh-well.)

I'll pass along a cheap and easy tip. Buy 3 small O or D rings at your local hardware store. Then use a hacksaw or heavy-duty cutters to cut off about 3" of the left (or right) side of the cooking grate. Reattach it with the rings, and you now have a flip-style grate like the round Weber kettles do. Now you can add more charcoal or wood for longer smokes without having to lift a hot grate or juggle hot foods.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks S2K9K. I'm glad there's such a great resource as this for us to learn from. It'll be fun developing my smokin skills!
Welcome Bryce!

I used to have that same exact grill (gave it to my son-in-law a few months ago. I'm sure he's not taking proper care of it, but oh-well.)

I'll pass along a cheap and easy tip. Buy 3 small O or D rings at your local hardware store. Then use a hacksaw or heavy-duty cutters to cut off about 3" of the left (or right) side of the cooking grate. Reattach it with the rings, and you now have a flip-style grate like the round Weber kettles do. Now you can add more charcoal or wood for longer smokes without having to lift a hot grate or juggle hot foods.

Good luck!
Neeley...great tip!! It's been a total freakin pain wrestling the grate on this darn thing. I'm going to make the modifications you suggested even if i only have this for a few more weeks. Its such a pain right now! Thanks again.

Welcome to SMF.  Sounds like your off to a good start. Any idea what types of smokers your looking at?
Nothing in paticlular yet Hooligan. I'm leaning towards charcoal instead of electric but i'm considering both. I'm hoping a few weeks on this website and i'll learn whats best for me. Thanks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky