New Toy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SecondHandSmoker

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 30, 2018
SE Arizona
I had been wanting a Lodge Sportsman CI grill for a few years now.
I pulled the trigger a couple of weeks ago after reading that the grills are being discontinued. Though, I am unsure if that is totally true.
At the very least, I now have a back up for the two gas grills. Funny how that works!
What is really great about this little grill is that you can use briquettes, lump, or wood.
The maiden voyage was beef,chicken, and vegetable kebabs.
Sorry, no pics of that cook. But trust me, it was delicous.
Which brings us to this past Friday afternoon's cook of two rib eyes, marinated veggie kebabs, and pineapple chunks for dessert.

It is HOT outside. Must stay hydrated with the obligatory margarita while grilling.
20200821_153851.jpg

The hickory and cherry chunks are doing their job.
20200821_153937.jpg

SWMBO reminded me she doesn't like a heavy sear...
20200821_154422.jpg

"Alright, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up."
20200821_154841.jpg

Did I mention marinated veggies??
20200821_155257.jpg

...And now for some dessert...
20200821_161111.jpg

I must appologize in advance for the lack of plated shots for this cook.
It was time to squat and gobble!
Thanks for looking.

Never seen that guy before. Looks cool how do you like it

I love it!
I can kick myself for not getting one sooner when a lot of places had them on clearance for really low prices.

There is a slight learning curve with heat management since the grate is so close to the coals. But, the grill does have a sliding damper door that helps too.
This thing does get HOT!

Of course, it is small and won't feed a crowd. For two people it is pefect.

It reminds me of the old Hibachi grills i used in the 80s but on steroids. Is it pretty portable for you? I might want one of these packed up for a camping excursion.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
It reminds me of the old Hibachi grills i used in the 80s but on steroids. Is it pretty portable for you? I might want one of these packed up for a camping excursion.

It really can be classified as Hibachi. Since it is cast iron, it weighs in around 30 lbs, but is very compact.
I am positive it would exceed at being a self contained camping/hunting grill.

Maybe someone should tell the people down at Lodge an advertisement would go a long way toward sales :emoji_laughing:

No doubt!

I checked Lodge's website and they're out of stock now.

Some websites had them listed cheaper than Lodge. But those site seemed kind of sketchy.

The best price from a reputable site was Sportsmans Warehouse.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smkryng
You might want to pull the trigger soon if there is any truth about these being discontinued.
I can honestly say that with proper care this grill will out live me.

BTW Jake,

I was glad to read that you and your family dodged the Covid. What a relief that must be!

Great Cast Iron Grill !

Yes it is.
I definitely want to try a cook using just wood coals to test the fuel versatility of the grill.
Once the weather cools down in my neck of the woods, I plan on doing some longer CI cooks using the grill as a heat source.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky