new to the group and to smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

liljoe

Original poster
Jul 29, 2017
Thanks for the add. I'm new to smokers and I'm getting ready to build my first one, an electric smoker. I live in Texas and love to hunt. I'm going to be making and smoking sausage and summer sausage and probably some other meats maybe turkey or hams.
I'm wanting needing advice. I've got a metal box that I want to use as my smoker. The demonsions are 5' tall X 38" wide and 40" deep. My question is what watt burner will I need to get the box hot enough? Thanks in advance.

Welcome LilJoe.

Your box is 52.8 cu ft of space. to Heat it from 40*F to 325*F you'll need 2187 BTUs if it's uninsulated and about 625 BTUs if its well insulated (probably a 2" insulation in the top and walls). A 2000 watt element will generate 6824 BTUs/hr and a 2500 watt element will generate about 8530 BTUs/hr. So I'd say either of those elements would do the job. I've seen elements that go all the way to 7000 watts but that would probably be overkill.

How do you plan on controlling the element? What voltage do you want to run at?

Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I'm very new to this so I'm pretty much guessing and dreaming on what it would be like. I wanted to make it 110v and figured I'd just put a thermometer in the side and regulate the burner to the desired temp. It's not insulated at this time but I'm sure I could put some 2" insulation board on the walls and top and then line with plywood if that would be best. Thoughts....

If you plan on 110V then you are going to be limited as to the wattage you can use. A normal household circuit is 20 amps. Using the 80% rule that would limit you to ~16 AMP draw on the circuit for your smoker.  A 2000 watt element would draw 18 amps (at 110v) at full power. Cutting it a little close but still under the 20 amp. 

You say you plan to be doing sausage, hams and turkeys. Those are usually done at lower temps. I'm sorry but my experience in that stuff is rather limited so I won't be much help but there is a wealth of knowledge available about the techniques here. You might even say some real authorities here. Reach out, they'll respond.

If that's all you plan to do then you could probably get by with a 1800-2000 watt element, 110v and a *well insulated* cooker. Best of luck with your build. 

There are some great people here that will be more than willing to help you build exactly what you want.

Thanks for the knowledge you've given me. What meats take higher temps? Maybe it would be a good idea to make it able to go to higher tempatures.

For smoking temperatures, for pork shoulders, and beef brisket, ranges like 225-250 seem to be mentioned often. But I'm new at this, those may not be ideal temperatures, or the typical suggested temperatures that you'd often want to reach.

In terms of heater wattage, I can't tell you how much power you'll *need*. But I compared the volume and heater power of a few electric smokers, if it's of use to you.

I used the outside dimensions of my Masterbuilt 30" (20070910), and a Masterbuilt 40" (20070311), using specs from their website. I considered that as the total volume of the smoker, pretending that that entire volume is heated (in reality, the actual heated air volume would be less). Note that these smokers go up to 275F, and are insulated.

The 30" smoker has a total volume of 7.8 cubic feet, and an 800W heater. That is 102 watts per cubic foot of volume (W/ft^3).

The 40" smoker has a total volume of 11.9 cubic feet, and a 1200W heater. That is 101 W/ft^3.

By contrast, your dimensions equate to 52.8 cubic feet (as BBQWillie said). If you were using a 2000W heater, that would be only 38 W/ft^3. If you wanted 100W/ft^3, you'd need about 5250W. Which would require 3 separate 110V circuits, each almost fully loaded.

Keep in mind a few points:

- The Masterbuilt calculations use the total volume of the box. Subtracting wall thicknesses, etc, the actual volume of air they're heating is less. So their effective W/ft^3 is actually a little higher than what I show above.

- Those units are insulated, so that reduces the required W/ft^3. If your box was not insulated, you would likely need additional power, vs what they have.

- With that said, they are also designed for the ability to reach/maintain 275F, hopefully even in cool conditions. If you only needed, say, 150F, in warm weather, you could get away with less power. But insulating your box would seem quite important, as you will have much less power density available, if running on a single 110V circuit.

You mentioned plywood, so this next thought might be very unsafe. But if, hypothetically, your box was all-metal, and had no risk of burning, you might be able to "cheat". A small propane burner, for instance, running constantly, could provide a boost in heat (effectively more watts). And an electric heater element, controlled by a thermostat or similar, could provide your temperature control. You'd always have some heat being added, by the propane burner, but the electric heater would provide the rest of the power, and would help regulate the temperature.

That could reduce your load on the electrical service, while still allowing higher temperatures. Or, if you could supply 220V, you could use something like a roughly 5000W oven heater.

How much stuff are you looking to smoke at once? That is a really big volume, the size will make some things tougher for you, like by restricting the max temperature you can reach.

Last edited:
There is no reason he couldn't partition the smoker (it is YUGE!) into a low temp/high temp cooker. One chamber for low smoking of sausage and the like and a high temp chamber for brisket and butts. He could then get by with just a 110v service for both chambers. With a little creative wiring and a few switches he could switch back and forth between the two based on what he needed to do. He could use the same controller to control both elements and switch between the chamber probes. That would be very doable. What do you guys think about that idea?

Last edited:
That seems like a pretty good idea to me. Especially if you make the high-temperature portion significantly smaller than the low-temperature portion. That would increase the W/ft^3 for the high-temperature side, helping you reach higher temperatures, assuming you used the same-wattage heater for each side.

Or, if you can't reach the temps you want, and/or you have more space than you need, you could still use the same principle. Partition off some of the inside, kind of "writing it off". Don't heat that volume at all, and just cook in the remaining volume. Same idea as BBQWillie's proposal, just simpler wiring and fewer electrical parts, if that offered a compelling benefit. You could still use this smaller volume for either high- or low-temperature cooling, assuming you had enough W/ft^3 to reach the higher temperatures you wanted.

If the partition location could be adjusted, to let you change the heated volume, you could make a change later, if that was required to reach the desired temperatures.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky