New to smoking from Dayton, Ohio

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

maliboost81

Original poster
Dec 21, 2015
Dayton, Ohio
My name is Mike from Dayton,Ohio! I am completely new to smoking and excited to try my new smoker out. I had been talking with my best friend a few weeks back, and told him I was going to look at getting a small propane smoker to keep at my camper. Low and behold he comes in my work yesterday with a new Masterbuilt Sportsman Elite propane smoker and says "Merry Christmas"! So I went today and got several bags of various wood chips to season it this evening (it's a smoking as I type this). Pretty excited to learn tips and tricks to make this venture as easy and delicious as possible! Any tips for a newbie? Any suggestions on some meats and recipes to get my feet wet? Hope to share some positive results within the next few days..

Welcome to SMF Mike!  You need to keep your friend well fed with smoked meat after a gift like that.  Congrats on the new smoker and a great friend!

Just look through the threads for ideas, and use the search feature for specifics.  Everyone here agrees that a pork butt (aka shoulder) is just about the most forgiving hunk of meat you can smoke.  Read up on pulled pork and have fun with the inaugural meal.

Glad you are here!

Ray

Welcome from SC. It's good to have you on this great site.

Yep, pork butt is very forgiving and is great eating. Chicken is also easy and inexpensive. Look up a thread on spatchcocked chicken. Give it a try. Good luck, Joe

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky