New To smokin and loving this forum

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinjax

Original poster
So I have done some minor smoking on my gas grill paying with would chips but outside of helping my dad long ago, haven't taken the full plunge till now. So I live in Jacksonville, FL but grew up in Iowa. Recently went hunting and decided to volunteer to smoke a hog my son shot for Superbowl sunday, and yes that was a full hog.. skinned (which I now might regret but oh well)...

So I say go big or stay home LOL.. Whole - Hog and new smoker.

Now I was in the market for a new grill and decided I wanted to ditch the gas and go for a true charcoal smoker that I could enjoy. This is how I found your forumns. There is so much info in hear it seemed every time I turned around I found myself back hear reading up on smokers and smoking in general.

For a smoker I have finally decided against going to lowes or local hardware shop after hearing about all the issues that can come from them. While looking over craigs list I found a local guy who has a good reputation for hand built barrel smokers, so I pick mine up on Saturday already burned in and ready to go...

While researching how to smoke a whole hog I found myself back hear again reading posts and listening to those like "Cowgirl" (think I remmbered taht right) on how to get it done the right way..

So here is my plan - and i'm open to any (hey! don't do that's.. :) )..

It was a little over a 100 lb hog prior to any cleaning.. so i'm guessing about 70lb dressed (no skin). I shot it last weekend and have been aging it in a large ice chest (handling game I can do :)... )

- Friday night I'm going to empty the cooler and break split the hog (butterfly I think is what its called). Then I'm going to brine it in some combination of applecider / apple vinegar and various fruits or whatever recipe I can find.. looking at a few online..

- Saturday night I pick up the smoker and head to friends to break it in right.. Figure we will start it up at around midnight which gives us plent of play room for being ready for superbowl..

- I've heard to smoke it for first 4 hours at lower temperature then kick it up to 225-250 from that point on..

- planned to rub it down with olive oil and salt/pepper.

- using pecan would I found at local ace store

- then just let the smoker do it's job.. I've heard to rotate it half way through from some and not to from others as I have an offset smoker.. but I figure I asked for an extra temp gauge and i'll just watch to see if each side is heating even and decide then .

I haven't decided if i'm just going to have them pick the meat off or if I should pull it and drop it in a crock pot?

I have friends that smoke and I helped them once do a hog.. .they pulled the meat and then put it in crock pot with some 7-up. it was good but I don't now if that kinda defeats the purpose ...

OK so first post (or novel LOL).. first hog... first smoker... wish me luck and here's to a long road of good smokin' ahead!!!!

Steve

Welcome to the addiction. Keep us informed and up so date with pictures of your first smoke.

Good Luck

Ronnie G.

welcome1.gif
 to the SMF.  I'm tired just reading your first post but congrats on joining the best bbq forum on the net.  Anything you need to know you will be able to find here by using the search bar at the top.  If you can't find it ask and someone will come along to help.

One thing...we like Q-view - that means we want you to post pictures of the food you smoke, your rig, etc.

Good Luck and Get Smokin'

Bill

good way to get your feet wet by doing a whole hog-which one you doing? the one your boy shot or the one you got? must be a big off set to handle that thing butterflied.Read up on cowgirls hog posts, she knows her stuff.

welcome1.gif
 to SMF!!! We're happy you found us! Would you do us a favor and add your location to your profile, Thanks!

welcome1.gif
to SMF!  Glad you joined us!  Sounds like you are having a blast!

We just have to see pictures of that whole hog!  We love the Q-View!

Kat

Steve,

Now you have all our attention. Tell you son congratulations from all of us I know you are a proud Dad. He will remember this for the rest of his life.

Ronnie G.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky