New Member - Melbourne Australia

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigspoody

Original poster
Apr 17, 2020
Melbourne
Hi All,
Noobie here from Melbourne, Aus. I stumbled across a couple of Texas bbq shows while in lockdown and i've been down the rabbit hole called the internet searching, reading and watching. I picked up an old Bar-B-Cher offset from gumtree with the intention to restore it and get cookin. I figure it's the enxt step from my WeberQ and charcoal kettle.
Really looking forward to learning a lot and hopefully some great cooks
Chris :)

Attachments

• IMG_20200419_163400.jpg
    IMG_20200419_163400.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20200419_163411.jpg
    IMG_20200419_163411.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 21
Thanks. That's the plan give it a sand and paint, replace the fixings add a couple of mods that I've read about and fire it up. Sounds easy!

I would fire it up before making the mods (actually before painting it even). That way you can test and see if and where the leaks are. I'm assuming that's what most of your mods are based around is leaks.

Reactions: bigspoody
I would fire it up before making the mods (actually before painting it even). That way you can test and see if and where the leaks are. I'm assuming that's what most of your mods are based around is leaks.
Yep, i've mucked around with it to see what it's like, where the leaks are. Plan is to measure up for tuning plates, create a charcoal basket and seal the leaks.

Hi All,
Noobie here from Melbourne, Aus. I stumbled across a couple of Texas bbq shows while in lockdown and i've been down the rabbit hole called the internet searching, reading and watching. I picked up an old Bar-B-Cher offset from gumtree with the intention to restore it and get cookin. I figure it's the enxt step from my WeberQ and charcoal kettle.
Really looking forward to learning a lot and hopefully some great cooks
Chris :)

Hi there and welcome!

Is your profile pic of at footy match at the MCG?
I'm glad to see you are picking up on doing some BBQ smoking. The fact that like all your beef there is prime is freaking amazing!
You are going to wow people with real BBQ and if you want some tips on stuff like Tex-Mex bbq type dishes feel free to reach out because its WAY better than anything you would get at Taco Bill's on Russell St in the city hahaha

I look forward to seeing the BBQ u smoke! :)

Hi there and welcome!

Is your profile pic of at footy match at the MCG?
I'm glad to see you are picking up on doing some BBQ smoking. The fact that like all your beef there is prime is freaking amazing!
You are going to wow people with real BBQ and if you want some tips on stuff like Tex-Mex bbq type dishes feel free to reach out because its WAY better than anything you would get at Taco Bill's on Russell St in the city hahaha

I look forward to seeing the BBQ u smoke! :)
Nice pick up, yes it's my mighty Hawks playing at the G. Was a great game that one.
Loving the local reference, Taco Bills!!! Always go with high hopes and vow never to return :)
I'll definitely hit you up for some tips when I'm up and running, thanks for the welcome

Reactions: tallbm
Welcome aboard, have fun restoring the smoker, but in the mean time put that kettle to use. I do most if not all my shorter smokes on a kettle.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky