New Kingsford Blue Charcoal.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lvrgsp

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Ok have any of you folks used the new and improved ( There Claim ) blue bag of Kingsford?

I have been using it, on my second bag now, and while I have no hard data to report, I will give you my observations...

1. I think it does light quicker at least when using the chimney...

2. The faint smell that you could get occasionally, I dont get that anymore.....not that it bothered me to begin with...

3. I feel I get the same amount of ash there again no hard data just my observation.

4. I get a longer burn time and a hotter burn as well....

Anyone else have any experience or notice any changes at all..

Thanks,
LVRGSP

This one?

kingsford.png

I have a couple bags to use on the La Caja for a pig in a couple weeks, curious to see how it burns.

With that said my WSM will not see any Kingsford briquettes as a heat source unless I am depsertate. I prefer lump.

Yep thats the one......the Briqs are a little different in shape...maybe deeper grooves than the older bag.....

Let us know how that La Caja works for ya.......

My problem with Lump recently has been the poor quality of pieces and alot of dust and junk in the bags.....that goes for the RO Red bag and the Cowboy stuff too.....when I can find a lump at a decent price around home here that isn't just crap I'll go back to it.....maybe it's just my recent luck because I used RO alot last year and dont remember it being like that......
I sure like Stubbs briqs too.....

On second thought I have enough Apple and Oak I should make my own coal......
Sorry for rambling......
icon_wink.gif

LVRGSP.....

there will ne pictures for sure. I purchased 80 lbs. of the new kingsford just for it.

I have used it quite a bit. It's not bad. I can get long lasting heat and for the most part nice and steady. It ashes quite a bit, but I "twitch" or "shake" my little basket once or twice during a smoke to let some of the ashes fall through so I can retain decent airflow from the bottom. Or at least that's how I've been doing it - but I am brand spanking new to this, so I may and am likely to be doing something wrong.

Here's something from Nakedwhiz (the guy who reviews charcoal):

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productrevi...ompetition.htm

Hey was that a new purchase or a used purchase? Have you had anything cooked in the La Caja before? If so how did you like it?

Thanks

I use lump but have used the Competition Briquetts and Stumpps all natural in the past. The Comp B's have a natural binder. The lump will get hotter and not as much ash.

the la caja is a buddies I am borrowing to do a pig on the 5th of June.

I was at one of his pig roasts about a month ago, and that pig he turned out that day off the La Caja was some of the best I have ever eaten.

I think I will do a test burn with the new blue bag, and a bag of Stubbs, somewhat of a controlled test burn and see what happens.....I'm really kinda stuck on the Stubbs brand of charcoal.....

anyone try the green egg lump? That stuff is kinda pricey

Just one word of caution with the Stubbs that I have found is.....on initial start up it seems to put off quite a bit more smoke than the Kingsford blue, but once it gets ashed over it is a very clean burning coal with less ash than KBB.....don't let that initial smoke bother ya it will go away as the coals get ashed some....

LVRGSP

Have not used the new and improved Kingsford in a couple of years, since I noticed the used up briquettes were all dark gray ash with black specks after a cook, think it has something to do with the coal they put in it.

This is the first I have seen the new bag of Kingsford, maybe were talking of something different....I'm thinking they made a recent change to the KBB...or am I mistaken....I had quite a few old bags of the KBB, and hused them and RO and Stubbs all last year so I never paid much attention to when the new KBB came out..

LOL... I tried using straight lump in my WSM, and it didn't seem to last nearly as long as the briquets. I like lump, but I think it has to do with how much better the shape of the briquet is in tightly packing the ring vs. some of the wasted space from the uneveness of the lump.

I just ran a bag of KBB last weekend when I did my brisket. Ash seemed the same, start up smoke was less (I think), hotness - not sure... I kept the smoker to 200°
biggrin.gif
. But it did run forever! I pulled the brisket at 14 hrs., put burnt ends on for another 2 hrs. after that, and still had about 1/4-1/3 of my full ring left!

I still prefer to mix 30/70 lump/briquets. I find a mix burns a bit hotter, I think it is because the lump creates more air flow inside of the pile, and the lump itself burns hotter. But I still get a long burn as well.

interesting data.

I have done (1) run of kingsford blue bag, and (1) run of kingsford competition in the WSM (vs probably 60-70 runs of lump), and the excess ash was the biggest reason I dont like briquettes. Ash typically = filler, and who knows what they are using as filler.

If you try lump again try spinning the charcoal ring a few times as you add the lump, this works to compact the lump really well.

You guys really should try the Stubbs briq's if you have'nt yet....I really really like it.....

Ive never seen Stubbs(i have heard its good), I heard the sell it @ Lowes, but I cant remember the last time I was in a Lowes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky