Neely's BBQ - Q-View!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

teleburst

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
I know that sometimes Neeley's gets some somewhat caustic references here, mostly due to the TV show, but damn! can they do BBQ (especially pork).

I went there yesterday for a pulled pork sandwich and thought I'd take my camera along. I finally found my battery charger and don't have to do those poor quality cell phone shots anymore (this should make my future Q-view shots much better).

102022686.jpg

102022821.jpg

The mess in the above picture was all on me. I was trying to move some of the slaw aside so I could show the pulled pork. I finally decided to pull a piece out and take the pic below:

102023181.jpg

Here's the sandwich in its full dressed glory, topped with Neely's really nice "hot" BBQ sauce:

102023956.jpg

The pork was very tender and nicely smoked. There was no smoke ring on this particular batch, but my previous sandwich from several weeks ago had a really nice ring.

The sandwich costs $5.49 and is certainly worth it. If you're ever in Memphis or Nashville, be sure to check it out. I think you'll decide that this is good stuff.

As a side note, pulled pork sandwiches is a pretty new phenomenon in Memphis-style BBQ, at least from my experience. Growing up in the 60s and 70s, every BBQ sandwich I ever ate was chopped. You can also get a chopped sandwich at Neely's if you're nostagically inclined, but I don't see the need.

call me a newbie but i like the show and i like the way they do it. watch it every saturday while i am waiting for the goddess giada de laurentiis to come on.

Love BBQ shows but I have to say that I can only think of taking a 5 lb picnic and whacking her with it. She anoys the hell out of me on that show.

That sandwich looks great though!

Gotta say I'm with ya on the "goddess"! She IS the total package.

As for the Neelys...get a room already!!

Well, Sir, I think you're being WAY too polite.
SHE'S HIDEOUS, OBNOXIOUS and just plain GROSS!
Doing her "snappy" chicken dances.
Worst show on the network.

So sayeth the Vman! and I'm stickin to it.

Nephew, I think.

Interstate is completely separate from Neeley's. Similar quality though.

Ifin their Q is good, they should stick ta that, their show on food network just don't cut it, only reason they are still there is well I ain't gonna say it here.

I thin most anybody from our fine neighborhood could do a better show on FN then them folks. Time fer a real down home cookin show there rather then all the glamour an glitz wihich seems ta be real popular these days. To much high folutin fer me an the knowledge base seems ta be slippin ta whats popular an not whats right.

Oh well, were be Justin Wilson when ya need em?

Probably a good thing.

Maybe what you want is more Sandra Lee.

best part of sandra lee, besides the good looks, is the fact that she makes better drinks than she does food. As far as Trav 45 not sayin it, I think we all know, and the PC issue keeps it on the down low. Fact is if there was other ethenic based shows that cater to actual recipes and techniques without the "star power" or showmanship, then Us at smf would be happier, cuz we know better, but the average joe needs the total package to stay tuned, and not change channels. I have watched the "neely's" a couple times, but too much sweet talk and BS to keep me interested. But the network is trying hard to appeal to another market share.

All this has somehow highjacked this thread, so thanks for the inside look into a BBQ joint and thoughts of what ya thought of the food.
cool.gif

Whew!!! I'm not alone. The neeley's tv show is unbearable. I was so exicited to here it was comming, and then it turns out to be 2 suck *** mules for a show just turns my iron stomach. As for interstate bbq kin not sure, but Guy did a bbq show somewhere in cali where he grew up. That place was ran by Mr. Jim Neeley's sister.

OH yeah, I saw that. Speakin of Guy, that guy and his show is my favorite. He has a great dynamic personality and the places that he visits are all so cool. I would love to have his job. If i got to pick any job, it would be his for sure. He used to be on a comp BBQ team too, so he knows his stuff.
I would love to party with that dude. I bet he has stories for days!
icon_smile.gif

Pretty funny thread guys,

but, did you all really think that sandwich looked that good?? I mean, was there enough pork in it?

Maybe us northerners like to beef it up a bit more, less bread, more meat:-)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky