Need help with how to make a sauce with these ingredients.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Right...kind of guess work...
You might consider googling other bbq recipes with oranges and see what others do.
In fact I just followed my own advice and Guy Fieri from the food network has an "orange bbq sauce" recipe with many of the same ingredients and he uses 1 cup OJ but his ingredient quantities look to be about half of what youve got listed...

I'm actually surprised how many orange based bbq sauce recipes along similar lines there are...the ingredient list you posted is a bit more elaborate and makes a much larger quantity but the ingredients in the recipies I quickly scanned over all look to make something of a similar flavor profile.

In fact I just followed my own advice and Guy Fieri from the food network has an "orange bbq sauce" recipe with many of the same ingredients and he uses 1 cup OJ but his ingredient quantities look to be about half of what youve got listed...

I was thinking of halving this anyway because I already have most of the ingredients but not enough of each to do it as listed. This way I don't have to buy more and won't feel all that bad about it if it doesn't come out solid. I like a nice glass of no pulp Tropicana so will probably go that route. I may start with a half cup and see what the thickness looks like and add more to thin to my liking.

Reactions: JC in GB
IMG_20190601_132548.jpg
IMG_20190601_133442.jpg

Well I gave it a go. I halved everything, threw it all in the food processor and simmered for a couple hours. It was not good. As it was simmering I ended up adding more orange juice, probably near 2 cups total, around another half cup of cider vinegar and half cup of catsup. Reason being that there was way too much chili powder in it and was trying to thin it and balance it out. I would stay it was still pretty bold. I'll give it a taste today and see if it's any better.

Reactions: tallbm and JC in GB
View attachment 397057 View attachment 397058
Well I gave it a go. I halved everything, threw it all in the food processor and simmered for a couple hours. It was not good. As it was simmering I ended up adding more orange juice, probably near 2 cups total, around another half cup of cider vinegar and half cup of catsup. Reason being that there was way too much chili powder in it and was trying to thin it and balance it out. I would stay it was still pretty bold. I'll give it a taste today and see if it's any better.

If it is more watery they may add the orange juice and vinegar at the end or some kind of combo like that. That was the key to me figuring out my Peri-Peri sauce. I add the vinegar and lemon juice after simmering all the other stuff.

I hope this info helps! :)

So I ate at this BBQ joint in South Carolina a couples years back and took a pic of this recipe they had for a sauce I liked. Can anyone help with how I might go about cooking it up? Thanks!!View attachment 396825
Usually, I'd cook the onions in the pot then add tomato paste and seasonings to cook.

Maybe try cooking the tomato paste (with or without your smoked onions and garlic) for 5 or 10 minutes with the chili powder and rosemary to bring out the flavor of the seasonings and cook out some rawness in the paste. Then deglaze the pan with the vinegar. Than add the other ingredients and simmer.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Thanks for the tips!! This is the first sauce I've made outside of Jeff's so got a lot of learning to do.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky