Need Boston Butt Injection

Discussion in 'Sauces, Rubs & Marinades' started by bnew17, Sep 2, 2011.

1. bnew17

bnew17 Smoke Blower

Whats a good Boston Butt injection that is fairly simple? I need one for this weekend.

2. Why do you want to poke holes in it. The juice will leak out. Just smoke it and spray it with some Captain Morgan and apple juice every hour.

3. eman

eman Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member

What he said ^^^

4. terry colwell

terry colwell Smoking Fanatic

Or drink the Morgans and spray it with the Apple juice[​IMG]

thatcho, downrange and johnny b like this.
  5. why would you open your pit every hour?

dscofever likes this.
  6. I totally agree. No need for injection. Spray with CPT Morgan and apple juice and double wrap in foil when it hits 160. I did one last weekend and it turned out to be one of the juiciest pieces of meat I've ever had.

7. cliffcarter

cliffcarter Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

Depends on whether the butt you have is already injected with brine during processing. If so then no injection needed, if not I inject with apple juice, about a cup full. Some will leak out, but not enough to make a difference IMHO. Foiling can make for mushy bark, not my preference.

8. larrym

larrym Meat Mopper

But a question from a noob,, wouldnt the extra flavor from a nice garlic/herb injection give it more flavor on the inside.  If it was injected prior to going into the smoker,, wouldnt the heat seal the hole ?

9. michael ark

michael ark Master of the Pit

Never had problem with dry meat injecting adds moister.That's why meat packers do it in the first place.If you want garlic.May i suggest garlic butter.The bark seals the holes.

10. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Just so you know, if you inject it, you will have to abide by the ground meat safety rule.

You will have to make sure the meat goes from 40˚ internal temp to 135˚ internal temp, in no more than 4 hours.

Bear

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  11. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

There are a whole bunch of pork injection recipes.

Raptor has a great one.

Here is Chris Lilly's World Champion pork butt injection:

3/4 cu apple juice

1/2 cu water

1/2 cu sugar

1/4 cu salt

2 Tbl Worcestershire sauce

12. Quote:

13. bruce jackson

bruce jackson Newbie

So, if you cook at 220, there is no way that the rule will be followed then right? Takes mine longer than that from what i remember from my notes...I usually throw mine on about 11 at night for the next days feast, I am throwing 2 on tonight for a small gathering at the house tomorrow night. Already have them oiled and rubbed, ready to go on the smoker tonight. Firing it up about 10...so I don't have good notes on temp during the night...I usually start tracking every half hour when i get up in the morning...have a nice remote temp probe in the smoker, but use my therma pen when it gets close.

14. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

A couple ways of staying safe:

#1 (My way)----Don't inject & don't insert your temperature probe until the 3rd hour at about 220 or more. Then insert sterile probe. (intact muscle rule)

#2 If you must inject, learn your smoker, so you can get the meat through the danger zone safely. Run it at 240, 250, 260, or whatever it takes to get it from 40 It to 135 IT in no longer than 4 hours.

Bear

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  15. So if I skip the injection step, and I don't brine it for my normal 24-48 hours (like I normally do all my white meats) . . . . . is there any reason I can't rub it down 48 hours in advance, then rub it down a second time 24 hours ahead of time? Besides possibly having too much bark (is there such a thing), are there any dangers?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  16. chef willie

chef willie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

That should be fine, as long as it's in a cold reefer for the resting phase....I usually don't rub a second time 24 hours in advance but often will do another coat of rub just before going into the smoker. Like Bear, I personally don't inject (yet) and don't put the meat probe in for a long time.....Willie

17. marshman71

marshman71 Smoke Blower

That's the one I use & it's excellent.   Chris's Rub is outta this world too.   Just a little info for those who are new to the smokin' scene.

Everyone seems to know Myron Mixon, Johnny Trigg, Tuffy Stone yada yada but I doubt many know  Chris Lilly.

Defiantly no slouch in the BBQ world ....  Chris is executive chef at Big Bob Gibson's BBQ   he's also a world champion pitmaster

Big Bob Gibson's is a legendary name one the Bar-B-Q circuit and their cooking team holds something like ten World BBQ Championships, 

18. johnb5

johnb5 Fire Starter

Marshman71how or where can I find Chris Lilly's rub

19. marshman71

marshman71 Smoke Blower

Here ya go...

This makes enough Rub and Injection to do about 16-18 Lbs of meat.

Dry Rub

1 tablespoon granulated sugar

1/2 tablespoon dark brown sugar

2 1/4 teaspoons garlic salt

2 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt

1 1/2 teaspoons paprika

1 teaspoon chili powder

1/8 teaspoon dried oregano

1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/8 teaspoon ground cumin

1/8 teaspoon black pepper

Injection