NC hog farmers sued

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Geez so where do these people think that food should be raised? Or perhaps they are vegan extremists? Pretty soon pork will cost as much as beef. I honestly have a hard time understanding the way our society works, or better said fails so often in its logic. I certainly hope that cooler heads prevail.

George

Geez so where do these people think that food should be raised? Or perhaps they are vegan extremists? Pretty soon pork will cost as much as beef. I honestly have a hard time understanding the way our society works, or better said fails so often in its logic. I certainly hope that cooler heads prevail.

George
Any place but their backyard. Farmers are in a difficult position. The farms were in place first and complying with state standards.

Last edited:
Man they really wouldn't want to live around here when its time to spread the liquid manure.

Chris

Iowa has confinement’s going up almost everywhere. I enjoy eating pork but dang I’m glad I don’t have a pucking stinking confinement close!!!!
I believe in Iowa they can’t be sued until a year or two after they are built.

I take a great deal of difference with Sierra Clubbers.
Poor little rich kids with too much money being A'holes.
I thank them for closing millions of acres of public land to the public, and miles and miles of the Left Coast to fishing.
And my local Man-Made reservoir's to fishing because the Fish and Game was planting non-native trout. It begs the question: What fish were swimming there before they built the reservoir? Dead ones?

Now 5 "families" win nearly half a billion dollars because they bought homes near a pig farm?
The good news is, now they can afford to move away from the smell. And sue some other farmer because his Dairy Farm smells like cows. Or a nice Coastal hamlet that smells like a fishing port.

I guess Grandpa's Ribs (Smithfield Brand) are going to be un-affordable to buy now. The kids and Grand kids won't like that.

Reminds me of what happened at a lake & event center near us.

For the 1996 Atlanta Olympics, they built a huge Olympic beach volleyball complex at a park owned by the county in Jonesboro. After the Olympics, they continued to hold tournaments there and have outdoor concerts at the main venue area. Very successful, made income for the county parks & rec department, and everyone was happy. Fast forward 5 or 6 years and a developer puts in a high end subdivision right next door to the venue. All the poor little rich owners who moved into the new neighborhood complained about the noise and traffic and ended up suing the county. Not considering the facility had been there and those events had been going on for years before these rich a-holes bought homes right next door (apparently with no due diligence). County gave in and put a stop to the concerts and tournaments. The place has never even broken even since.

So when the rest of the country has to pay more for pork, let's all remember these 6 families........ and their poor poor predicament (half a billion later).

Sounds like Soylent Green, rjob.
v1.bTsxMTIwNzQ3NjtqOzE3ODU5OzEyMDA7MTUzNjsyMDQ4

I hope I'm gone before we come to that.
I have no problem with Cow Flatulence, or Farm Smells.
They bring to mind rolling up my sleeves and working up a good sweat.

People here on the left coast still don't understand why Trump got elected. I will refer them to this verdict as a way of explanation. A lot of us are getting pretty desperate to stop this insanity.

And make no mistake: this has got to be stopped before we all starve. There are countless other similar legal rulings that are making it tougher for farmers to produce food efficiently and cheaply.

This is also part of a larger effort to extract money under the pretense of being "harmed." A good example is people who move into houses near airports. They "discover" that planes make noise, and so they sue the airport authority for "damages" because of the noise, even though the airport existed decades before they moved to their house.

Tort litigation has become an evil game of robbing any entity that has money. For every legitimate tort, where someone is actually harmed by real cases of negligence or accident, there are a dozen which are fraudulent, like this one.

Reactions: Princeau99 and rjob
Sounds like Soylent Green, rjob.

Yep, the ultimate recycle attempt.
v1.bTsxMTIwNzQ3NjtqOzE3ODU5OzEyMDA7MTUzNjsyMDQ4

I hope I'm gone before we come to that.
I have no problem with Cow Flatulence, or Farm Smells.
They bring to mind rolling up my sleeves and working up a good sweat.

Farms on our left, right, back and front. Hog nursey a stones through away, poultry farm about 3 miles away. Worst smell when the plant nursey burns trash.
Great location for the horses, chickens, dogs and cats. Plenty of opportunity to sweat.

rjob,

Interesting article and thanks for posting.

I read articles like this from time to time and, I'm almost ashamed to say, I just shrug my shoulders and say "It is what it is, it's the land we live in". The U.S is the most litigious country on the planet where anyone can sue anyone else for whatever reason, as trivial as it might be, and have their day in court. Sometimes they win, and sometimes they loose. In this case they won big so it was worth a roll of the dice. The nearly 500M payout, if it ever comes, because I'm sure Murphy-Brown will appeal, will be reduced to the state cap which appears to be 95M, which is still a pretty good return. Whichever side ultimately ends up winning or loosing, the lawyers will always be paid. For the record, I'm not knocking lawyers because I am one.

To me, the only ways to reconcile conflicts start with mutual cooperation and compromise, which is voluntary. Beyond that, it's legislation, regulation, and litigation. Unlike most other countries, litigation reigns supreme in the U.S. Also, regulation typically stems from legislation, and most legislators in the U.S. are lawyers who always have a biased and vested interest.

It is what it is.

Tort reform could make the litigation industry more accountable, and could reduce some of the incentive to file suits like this. However, the tort lawyers have an amazingly strong lobby, and pretty much everyone in D.C. is "in their pocket." The most obvious industry that could use tort reform is the medical industry, including doctors, drug companies, and medical device companies. However, when that massive healthcare legislation (the "affordable healthcare act") passed a decade ago, there was not one line about tort reform in any of the thousands of pages of legislation.

It was a missed chance.

Same problem here in the Kent valley. Up until the 70's, it was home to many working farms and dairy farms. Then warehouses began encroaching in from one side, and housing developments from the other, and people suddenly became upset that their brand new house was within smelling distance from the dairy farms that had been there for over 80 years. (They also have manure lagoons and spread the sluice around via sprinklers. But hey, it's good for the crops that they still buy at the Farmer's markets.)

Same problem here in the Kent valley. Up until the 70's, it was home to many working farms and dairy farms. Then warehouses began encroaching in from one side, and housing developments from the other, and people suddenly became upset that their brand new house was within smelling distance from the dairy farms that had been there for over 80 years. (They also have manure lagoons and spread the sluice around via sprinklers. But hey, it's good for the crops that they still buy at the Farmer's markets.)
Is that what could be called "progress"? Have lived in developments and in the "sticks", will take sticks any day.

Sorry, the court is making the wrong decision IMO. The people moved there knowing the hog farm was there beforehand. Had something similar to this a few years back near me. Had people that developed neighborhoods by an existing sugar beet processing factory that turns them into sugar. The smell can get quite bad nearby at times. People tried suing but were turned down as they did not do their due diligence before buying and developing the land.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky