My UDS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mdavis735

Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 28, 2012
Leander, Texas
As if I didn't already have enough smoking equipment. I have a stick burner and an MES 30. I needed something to cook with on charcoal. I've pretty much got briskets mastered on the stick burner, but it requires lots of babysitting. I've smoked 5 in a row that look like this. With wonderful flavor.
ba8a8e6y.jpg

The MES is set it and forget it, but on my opinion there is no comparison to the stick burner. So I set out for a compromise. Found a food grade drum that had housed orange juice for $25. It was from Mexico. My wife is from Mexico as well and she is wonderful. So I knew this was the barrel for me.
sy4ezeba.jpg

I found all the hardware and was concerned about the charcoal basket. I can weld but don't have the equipment. My wife and I were in academy on the off chance we might find something there. She came across a 24 quart steamer/fryer basket. It was $10 and looked perfect. My only concern was if it would hold enough fuel for an extended cool. I also got a 16" pizza pan and used 3" x 1/4" stainless bolts, nuts and washers to attach the pizza pan/ash catcher 3" below the basket.
8ytujeru.jpg

I filled it up with around 8lb of briquettes and 4 or 5 mesquite chunks. Then lit 20 briquettes in my charcoal chimney and dumped on top. Set up my maverick et-732 and set the temp to 250. Just like I was cooking.
eneba7eh.jpg

It maintained 250-255 from 7:30 sat night till around 3:00 Sunday evening at which time I dumped the 30 or so still hot coals in the firebox on my stick burner, reloaded the basket and used the still hot coals to get it going again when it was back to 250 I added a small 2lb cut brisket as a test. I smoked it for around 5 hours. Till IT 200. Without ever opening the lid or touching the intakes.
e3eby4a7.jpg

I'm very impressed with this thing and expect to get lots if use out of it.

Reactions: dwrek
How's that fire basket working out for you?  Did you need to add additional holes?  Are there holes on the bottom?  

I made mine out of expanded metal/charcoal grate.  I bought a basket for my next one.  Curious how its workin for ya.  

Nice job on the UDS!

Thanks. Your looks great also. I like the lid. I've only cooked once, but I was very impressed with the basket. I was afraid it would be too small, but it stayed on temp for over 15 hours when full of HEB brand briquettes. It has holes in the bottom already. If I had a complaint it might be that the ashes don't fall through the holes as much as they might on expanded metal, but again how could I complain about 15+ hours on $3-$4 worth of fuel.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky