MY UDS Begins...and the Weber Lid Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
But can you keep the temps down in the 240s?

That's the issue if you have leaks on a drum. High temps aren't a problem but being able to control a lower temp might be difficult.

I did basically the same thing as RW Willy.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=74979

It's a little tricky cutting the bottom of the kettle and very difficult to bolt it in without pulling it out of round.

I actually like Tip's idea better.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Dave

On the closed barrels we used it seemed(they could of been the same) like the Weber lid fit better on the bottom of the barrel. We turned them over and plasma cut the bottom out. In grinding the inside smooth we found there is a rolled lip over the bottom that with a little grinding can be popped off. This leaves you with a much thinner ring around the barrel but still thicker than just the barrel.
We take the bottom we cut out and cut a circle a little bigger than our charcoal basket. Then we roll a piece of metal about an inch high and weld that on the circle and use that for our ash catcher.

I originally clamped the lid on so I could go to town with the rubber hammer, it worked so good I use them all the time now. I live on top of a hill surrounded by open fields so its very windy. The clamps help hold the lid on and while not the perfect set up its cheap and effective. When it warms up I may look into a better solution but for now I think its fine

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky