My Try at Jeff's Wooster Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mneeley490

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 23, 2011
Everett, WA
Been meaning to give this a try, and Dad's day seemed to be the ticket. Went to Costco yesterday (madhouse), and they were out of the Prime, but I found a 12.5 lb. choice with relatively little extra fat. Also picked up a couple 20oz bottles of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire. Hope that's what Jeff meant by "big" bottles.
20230617_155803.jpg

Took maybe a pound of fat off, but it still barely fit in the pan. I was going to separate the point & flat, but the point on this one is kinda small, so I didn't bother.
20230617_163612.jpg

Sauced & rubbed with Jeff's Texas Style.
20230617_164759.jpg

I had planned on throwing this in around 6am, but found my GMG Daniel Boone wouldn't get up to temp. Stalled at about 130°, so I turned it off and realized that the last time I used it was at high heat for burgers, so the ash pot was full. Quick cooling and vac, and we were back in business. This is about 3-1/2 hours in.
20230618_100703.jpg

We're at 8-1/2 hours now, and in the middle of the stall. Stalled at 165° on the button, and stayed there for about an hour. Starting move again now. Hope it finishes early, so I can slice it tonight.
But it did give me time to make some bread to go with.
20230618_145215.jpg

Nice bread.
Not sure if the time posting is my time or your time. I like to finish my cooks before meal time.
I've gotten in the habit of vac cleaning the pooper before I use it. Most times it is not needed, but there is the sometimes..

Nice bread.
Not sure if the time posting is my time or your time. I like to finish my cooks before meal time.
I've gotten in the habit of vac cleaning the pooper before I use it. Most times it is not needed, but there is the sometimes..
Normally, I will start a brisket the night before and rely on my probe alarm to wake me if something's going wrong. But this recipe calls for hitting the brisket with more Worcestershire every 90 minutes, and that would've been too hard to climb out of bed every time.

This smoke ended up taking about 15 hours, so pretty normal. Unfortunately I didn't get a good picture of it out of the smoker, but did get a couple after slicing. It was fork tender, slices just barely hanging together. Ended up giving some to my m-i-l, and my daughter's family.

I had wondered if it would be too salty with all the Worcestershire, but it was just fine.
20230619_094610.jpg
20230619_094621.jpg

Nothing wrong with "choice" packers, that's all I've ever used. I have a ten pounder in the freezer and this might be something a little different.
What flavor smoke? What cooking temp were you shooting for? I'd be doing it in an offset and 260 to 280 is about where it likes to run.
Just saw the slice pics. Looks good!!
Nice looking bread, too! What kind?
I know, too many questions....

Nothing wrong with "choice" packers, that's all I've ever used. I have a ten pounder in the freezer and this might be something a little different.
What flavor smoke? What cooking temp were you shooting for? I'd be doing it in an offset and 260 to 280 is about where it likes to run.
Just saw the slice pics. Looks good!!
Nice looking bread, too! What kind?
I know, too many questions....
I was using a mixture of the Costco Gourmet pellets (oak, hickory, maple, cherry), and also trying to use up some black "hickory charcoal" pellets. The Costco pellets burned well, but many of them were so long, like 2-1/2", I was afraid they'd get stuck in the hopper. Temp in my GMG Daniel Boone kept between 230 and 245.
The bread is an "Artisan No Knead" type, made in a dutch oven. The recipe is on here somewhere. It doesn't compare with some others on the forum, but it has the advantage of going from Zero to Bread in 4 hours.

That's looking good.

The color before it went on the smoker reminds me of what I did on my WSM about 20 years ago. Except instead of worstsistershire , I used Daddy Hinkles which has to have a worcestershire base. Its much the same.

We would separate the point and flat. And we used an ice pick to punch holes in the fat cap to get the Daddy Hinkle's marinade to the meat, while you sliced the fat cap.

Here's two brisket on the 18 WSM on March 4th, 2005, flats on top grate, points on the bottom, I think, anyway.

IMG_0227.JPG

Been meaning to give this a try, and Dad's day seemed to be the ticket. Went to Costco yesterday (madhouse), and they were out of the Prime, but I found a 12.5 lb. choice with relatively little extra fat. Also picked up a couple 20oz bottles of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire. Hope that's what Jeff meant by "big" bottles.
View attachment 668279

Took maybe a pound of fat off, but it still barely fit in the pan. I was going to separate the point & flat, but the point on this one is kinda small, so I didn't bother.
View attachment 668280

Sauced & rubbed with Jeff's Texas Style.
View attachment 668281

I had planned on throwing this in around 6am, but found my GMG Daniel Boone wouldn't get up to temp. Stalled at about 130°, so I turned it off and realized that the last time I used it was at high heat for burgers, so the ash pot was full. Quick cooling and vac, and we were back in business. This is about 3-1/2 hours in.
View attachment 668282

We're at 8-1/2 hours now, and in the middle of the stall. Stalled at 165° on the button, and stayed there for about an hour. Starting move again now. Hope it finishes early, so I can slice it tonight.
But it did give me time to make some bread to go with.
View attachment 668283
Great job on the brisket! Looks amazing!😋

Reactions: JLeonard
Did you end up using both bottles? Was the flavor nice and forward in the finished product? I love Worcestershire.

Did you end up using both bottles? Was the flavor nice and forward in the finished product? I love Worcestershire.
I think I used about 1-1/2 bottles. I was concerned that it might turn out too salty, but that wasn't the case. You could taste it in the finished product, but it wasn't overpowering.

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky