My Saturday Smoke!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Redicans

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 23, 2023
Hawaii
Smoked my second Brisket and 3 racks of St Louis spare ribs today. Brisket was 15.30lbs trimmed to 10ish pounds it was a prime from Costco. Ribs were from Costco also.
IMG_4975.jpeg
IMG_4977.jpeg

IMG_4978.jpeg

3hrs in and had to prop it up to stop pooling . Also had to tent the point as I smoked on the top rack and it was getting a bit hot.

IMG_4979.jpeg

5hrs in and the ribs went on. A lot going on for me on this smoke.

IMG_4980.jpeg

Wrapping at 170. Was planning to not wrap but hit a good stall even though my temp was hot. Worked out good for me.

IMG_4981.jpeg

A little snack from the ribs. It was tasty!!

IMG_4982.jpeg

Ribs done. Unwrapped and on for 4hours. Sorry but no pics of individual rib pics!! Hahaha!!

IMG_4985.jpeg

Brisket finished. Went to 214 on smoker then held for 2hrs in oven. Probing till tender took longer than I thought it would. I was running temps from 275 to 350. Thought it would be done sooner but ended up taking 11hrs.

IMG_4986.jpeg
IMG_4987.jpeg
IMG_4988.jpeg

Ribs were great but it was all about the brisket for me today. I am very happy how it turned out. Flat was super tender and juicy. Point was a bit overcooked. Sliced ok but could also be shredded if wanted too. Learned a lot how my smoker runs since my last Brisket and had great temp control today. Hope everyone is having a great weekend and smoking up some good grinds!!

Again many thanks to this site for all the info. I have read so many posts about Brisket cooks that even though this was only my second one I feel like I have a wealth of knowledge to draw from already!!

Aloha,

Sean

Last edited:
Looks good . Using the oven to finish is a great way to control the cook . Nice work .
Are taking note of the grain direction before you smoke ? So you can get the slices across the grain when finished .

Looks good . Using the oven to finish is a great way to control the cook . Nice work .
Are taking note of the grain direction before you smoke ? So you can get the slices across the grain when finished .
Thanks Chopsaw, I did note the grain direction. The flat sliced up nicely but as I got towards the point I think I went a little off. Haha!

That brisket looks great Sean. I bet the ribs benefited from the drippings.

Which island are you on? The Maui Costco was the most congested one I have ever been to. It was so bad I had to walk out and sit in the Jeep until my wife was done shopping. It might have been pre pandemic hoarding in 2020 but I could not handle that crowd.

Reactions: Redicans

Which island are you on? The Maui Costco was the most congested one I have ever been to. It was so bad I had to walk out and sit in the Jeep until my wife was done shopping. It might have been pre pandemic hoarding in 2020 but I could not handle that crowd.
Thanks Beater! I am on Oahu.Yeah we have four costcos on Oahu. The one I usually go to is one of the busiest in the nation. It can be a mad house sometimes!!

I really admire the full utilization of your smoker, and the effort that comes along with managing temp and the varying cook times between meats. Looks good, I can see why you would have enjoyed eating it!

Looks great.

It is awesome that in Hawaii you can get prime brisket, but here in the Chicago area, I can only get choice from Costco. Maybe in the past week they have prime.

Last edited:
I really admire the full utilization of your smoker, and the effort that comes along with managing temp and the varying cook times between meats. Looks good, I can see why you would have enjoyed eating it!
Yeah first time I smoked different meats together. It was a fun cook but I definitely had to pay attention to times and temps!! Thanks PapaBerr appreciate the comment.

Reactions: PapaBerr
Looks great.

It is awesome that in Hawaii you can get prime brisket, but here in the Chicago area, I can only get choice from Costco. Maybe in the past week they have prime.

Thanks Texan, I have only seen prime at the Costco I go to. That Brisket was $61. Not bad for out here. As long as I don’t screw it up, haha!!

Reactions: Displaced Texan

Has a similar situation here at our Cosco. I've never experienced it before but being in my late 60's it quickly came upon me and I had to get out of the store immediately. The crowd was too much to handle. Really odd and very uncomfortable feeling.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky