My New "Carolina Gamecock" Tailgating UDS Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nitro195601

Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
Greenville, SC
Talking with the owner of one of our local (BEST) BBQ eateries here in Greenville SC, about different smokers he was telling me about how good the UDS were so I decided to start doing a little research on them. I have a smoker with the SFB that I started out on about 20 years ago and then about 2 years ago I bought me a GOSM, and a 22 inch webber charcoal grill, so I decided why not give the UDS a try. All the reviews talked about how much better the taste of the ribs and other meats are cooked on one and about the long smoke times you can get out of a UDS so I decided to give one a try. I found one of our local feed and seed stores had 55 gallon drums for sale so I went to check them out. The owner said that these drums had Apple Juice stored in them. Brought it home and started the burnout process and then the sanding, priming and painting.During all of this I decided I was going with the Carolina Gamecock Theme to my cooker since I am a huge Gamecock fan, and have some Clemson Tiger fans I wanted to show it too and cook them some good ribs on. I finished it up last week with the curing process and then smoked a couple racks of ribs on it Saturday and they turned out AWESOME. The smoker held steady at 235deg. for the full cook. Thought I would add a few pictures of the build and the a few pics of the ribs. Hope you enjoy, because I know I sure did..

Completely sanded down to the metal inside and out.

Painted the outside with 200 deg. high heat primer.

Then painted with high heat black.

Here is the finished product!! The silver wire out the side is my lead to my Maverick thermometer.

The Gamecock on the side I cutout of a piece of thin steel plate and then painted. I off set it from the smoker with some spacers which gave it a pretty cool effect.

Here are a few pics of the ribs. Rubbed down with Jeff's rub and then coated with brown sugar and sat in the fridge all night covered. Now ready to go on the grill!!!

Finally ready to enjoy the what all that labor and hard work was for. But I enjoyed every minute of it!!

I didn't take a picture of the charcoal basket but it looked just like this one. I used it as my go by with a few mods.

I have got a couple more things I still need to do to it. One is to add a screw in thermometer which I have ordered and should be here this weekend. 

Reactions: mrojc
Looks great. Welcome to the UDS side of smoke.. you will learn to love it more every use..! I Lik the offset gamecock..nice touch!

Good lookin'. Know they will kick mizzou but. Question is why are the drafts so high? Probably read or will read down the line, but just don't know. Thanks Dave

Well, the drafts are placed higher just for convenience. During my temp test runs they were mounted at the bottom just off the nipple, then I made another temp test run with them mounted up high like they are in the picture and I didn't see any noticeable difference in temps. I cooked 2 racks of ribs on it and with the valves adjusted at about 1/2 way I was able maintain a steady temp around 

230 deg for about 5 hours.  Plus now I can make my valve adjustments when needed and not have to worry about bending over and spilling any of my favorite beverage. 
cheers.gif
Plus, I think it makes for a little more interesting look to it if you are putting a "Theme" to your smoker.

And like Smoking B said: So you don't have to bend down to adjust them!!!

Last edited:
Nice build and paint job..................Oh, and those ribs look tasty....
drool.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky