My first UDS build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foodancing

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 11, 2015
Philipsburg, Pa
I am in the process of building a UDS out of a 30 gallon drum. At this junction I have my air intakes installed and I'm about to cut the top to make my lid. My big question right now is, how should I make the charcoal basket? I don't have access to an expanded metal, and the store near me is super expensive and only sells it by the sheets. Could I use a 5 gallon round can and drill a lot of holes in it?
Thanks for any and all
15275126078811835808728.jpg
help...

Last edited:
My son bought his basket and a few hardware parts from Big Poppa Smokers . There are other sites that supply parts that you might shop as well. B

I believe Lowes sells some at a reasonable price. I've read a few times people buying from them. And rolling it around a propane tank to make it a circle.

Reactions: foodancing
I have my charcoal basket made and I am at the stage of adding on my thermometer. Is there any reason that I couldn't put it in the lid? If not, where is the best place for it.

I have my charcoal basket made and I am at the stage of adding on my thermometer. Is there any reason that I couldn't put it in the lid? If not, where is the best place for it.
The only problem would be having to mess with wires everytime you check food. I would put on the side of USD in-between 1 and 2nd rack.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky