My butchering skills $uck!!! Long post - pic heavy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Well, I found a small mom-n-pop store one town over that I heard thru the grapevine at work had a good meat department. So the wife and I take a short ride over Tuesday morning to pay them a visit and see for ourselves. We've been disappointed lately with the quality of meat coming from our local grocery chains. The steaks have either been paper thin, or extremely tough. No middle ground. Once we walked into this little store I knew I just died and went to meat heaven. They had a large meat cooler filled with all types of meat. Tri-tips, packers, flats, ribeyes, and if they didn't have it on display they said they could get it PDQ. They also carried the meat pre-cut or in whole pieces. The pre-sliced was a little more expensive, but that was understandable. So with my wallet lite 180.00 we made our way back home and I got to work.

One 15+ lb. full packer and a 17+ lb. Prime rib roast.
DSC05000.JPG

DSC05001.JPG

DSC05002.JPG

The brisket went into the freezer. That will be cooked another day.
But the rib-roast got hacked up by me immediately.

Here's a shot of the victim before I did my best Hannibal Lecter impersonation on it.
DSC05005.JPG
The bones were telling me to cut these babies thick. So I obliged.
DSC05013.JPG

...and here is the final butchering:
DSC05016.JPG

and two go out to pay homage to the meat god via the Kettle/Vortex combo
DSC05019.JPG

After about short spell, and a few Genny's they got flipped.
DSC05021.JPG

A little over-cooked for our liking, but still tasty and tender.
DSC05037.JPG

Neither of us could finish these. So I gave the leftovers a vacuum sealing and popped them into the freezer for a later date.
DSC05040.JPG

Thanks for staying with me. Now all I have to do is learn how to break down these cuts and relearn how to cook thick steaks.

Chris

Awesome.

About 6 months back we "rediscovered" Gene's meat market over the border in Mass and it was like being in meat heaven. The two tri tips I got from them were beyond outstanding and they make all their sausage and chourico in house. Gotta hit them up this Saturday.

Reactions: gmc2003 and chopsaw
Oh my, that looks so good.
With just two of us, we vacuum seal most of what we smoke too.
Raw meat in one freezer, cooked in another. Haha

Reactions: gmc2003
Nice find, we are in the same feelings for the local grocery stores around here
Hard to get what you want. If their meat cutters can do what you ask it is still hit and miss, and price is scary

Couple of nice Ribeye's Chris, love how thick you got them cut

David

That's one heck of a find! Looks delicious! And I don't think you did a bad job butchering them... keep at it and you'll be a master in no time!

Ryan

I agree with the above. Those are like 2015 prices for the meat. Now use the money you saved and get yourself a real wood or pellet smoker before you tackle that brisket. Then we can giggle at your new posts on how did I not do this before.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky