My boy made his first racks of ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rickplaysbass

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 18, 2017
Well, my boy (12) asked to helped with the ribs this weekend. I told him he could make them himself. We went shopping for everything together and I let him choose a rub and sauce.

Taught him how to peel the membrane on one and had him do the other three. Rubbed one down and had him do the other three. This morning I taught him how to fire up the pit and even let him pick his pellets. Out of apple, mesquite, pecan, and GMG Texas Blend he went with the Blend.

We threw all four slabs on at 250. He sprayed them down every hour for three hours. Then he wrapped them with brown sugar and butter for about 1.5hrs. Once they were ready he flipped them and glazed them and dropped the heat. I let him decide when they were ready glaze and ready to pull off the pit.

I should've taken more pics but here are the first two he pulled off. One went to the neighbor who said, "The ribs were freaking awesome!" They really were. The rugged right of the bone, but had a good firmness, they didn't just fall apart. The sauce he picked for the glaze even had just a little heat that countered all that sweetness quite nicely. The boy ate damn near a whole slab by himself. Needless to say, he was extremely proud of his efforts.

Now if I can just get him to be as proud about cleaning the pit. Lol.

Congrats to him for a good smoke and good on you for showing how it's done. Our younger generations are being spoon fed more and more and the basic skills, which include preparing food for this topic, are becoming rare.

No pun intended...

Reactions: rickplaysbass
Congrats to him for a good smoke and good on you for showing how it's done. Our younger generations are being spoon fed more and more and the basic skills, which include preparing food for this topic, are becoming rare.

No pun intended...

I agree wholeheartedly. So much so that I'm actually working on setting up a camp this summer to specifically combat that problem. Somewhat of a basic skills crash course. Learn how to fix flats, patch bike tires, use a hammer, screwdrivers, pliers, jump start a car, paint/stain wood, find studs, start a grill, cook a burger, etc.

That sounds pretty cool! My parents were always cooking and I started at a young age. After culinary school and doing it 70+ hours a week I got burned out and changed careers a couple years back. I miss it now. Wish more kids were I Tom it at a younger age.

You should be very proud of your Son!

Those are some awesome looking ribs!

I tried to give you a point, but I guess I'm over my limit!

Al

Thanks guys. I'm not sure who's more proud; me of him or him of himself.

Outstanding...far too many of our younger kids don't get those life lessons any longer...ESPECIALLY with the elimination of basic things like wood and metal shop, small engine mechanics and home EC from our public education schools.
Congrats to you for your efforts.

Walt.

I have to agree with all the above posts. Great job and being a public school teacher, THANK YOU. Too many of my students come into class with few/no life experiences and it shows. Our world needs more parents like you. Keep on smoking!

Reactions: rickplaysbass
Those are some great looking ribs!!! Ahhh.....teach a man to fish.....

Great lesson.

Points!!   
points.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky