My Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stonegoat

Original poster
Jan 1, 2024
My bacon turned out great! I used pecan wood.

Attachments

• IMG_3624.jpeg
    IMG_3624.jpeg
    180.5 KB · Views: 28
Dry brine: 2% salt, 0.25% sodium nitrate, 1% sugar (I used brown).
Vacuum sealed and rotated every day for a week.
Rinsed and dried overnight in my fridge then smoked at 200F for about 4 hours using pecan pucks (I use a Bradley smoker).
Turned out amazing!
A little saltier than I go but looks great. Try pushing your cure time out to about 14 days. Doing so will give more flavor development that is worth the wait.

Last edited:
Reactions: stonegoat
I must say, that bacon looks great, but those bellies look GREAT compared to what I can get here!

I agree with the longer cure time for flavor development, but still a great looking bacon.

A little saltier than I go but looks great. Try pushing your cure time out to about 14 days. Doing so will give more flavor development that is worth the wait.
What % salt would you recommend?

Dry brine: 2% salt, 0.25% sodium nitrate, 1% sugar (I used brown).
Saw your other thread - assuming the "0.25% sodium nitrate" you listed there was 0.25% cure #1?

If was cure #1, just an FYI that's sodium nitrite, not nitrate. Nitrite (cure 1) is for what bacon and other short cures (like what you're doing here); nitrate (cure 2) is for long cures like dry cured sausages.

Not trying to be pedantic or anything, just want to make sure you used the right stuff :emoji_slight_smile:

Bacon looks tasty, btw!

Saw your other thread - assuming the "0.25% sodium nitrate" you listed there was 0.25% cure #1?

If was cure #1, just an FYI that's sodium nitrite, not nitrate. Nitrite (cure 1) is for what bacon and other short cures (like what you're doing here); nitrate (cure 2) is for long cures like dry cured sausages.

Not trying to be pedantic or anything, just want to make sure you used the right stuff :emoji_slight_smile:

Bacon looks tasty, btw!
Sorry. I always get the nomenclature wrong! It was definitely cure #1

Reactions: Culinary Otter
What % salt would you recommend?
It's a matter of taste. My numbers aren't necessarily better, just what I prefer. The salt and sugar can be played around with to suit your own taste.

What I use:
0.25% cure#1 (never changes)
1.5% salt (which gives you 1.75% total salt including the salt in the cure)
0.75% sugar

Reactions: nlife
It's a matter of taste. My numbers aren't necessarily better, just what I prefer. The salt and sugar can be played around with to suit your own taste.

What I use:
0.25% cure#1 (never changes)
1.5% salt (which gives you 1.75% total salt including the salt in the cure)
0.75% sugar

This is what I'm using this go round on a belly. Last belly I did I was using 1.5% total (salt and cure). This time I'm using 1.75% total.

Reactions: ConrodM and DougE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky