My 1st Attempt at Beef Short Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gaz0001

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 14, 2021
Afternoon All

Its 1pm here. Hoping to have these ribs ready for around 5 to 7pm

Today is my first attempt at the Beef Short Ribs.
After my dry Brisket, really hoping for a win here.

I have 1KG Beef Short Rib from Australia. All trimmed up in the pics.
I have a new Boning Knife which helped a lot.
I've even created an umberalla for the BBQ.
The ambient temp here is 112f and the sun is ruthless.

Ive done a little slather or Worstershire Sauce, and a mix of Cracked Black Pepper, Kosher Salt and Organic Garlic Granules.

For my trimming, I removed most of the fat cap, silverskin and layer 1 membrane on the rear.

(I also have a few wings on there which are for lunch)

20210525_113219.jpg 20210525_120445.jpg 20210525_120938.jpg 20210525_121059.jpg 20210525_122420.jpg

Reactions: sawhorseray
It's been 1h 20210525_131336.jpg
Things are going fine.

I'm being more relaxed with the temperature.
I have my low alarm set at 240f and my high at 310f, but I'm watching the controller.

I want to keep it at 275/285 ideally.

16:45 Pm

Meat has been on for nearly 4 hours.
Internal temp is reading 167f and 161f.

Looking quite good.

I'm using a spritz of apple cider vinegar, about every 1 hour.
I hope it doesn't make the ribs taste of vinegar though.

Have suffered some huge temp swings.
Has ran up to 365f at one stage.
Its when the wood is burning and then splits open. It causes a huge temp spike.

So far I have used 3 pieces of hickory wood chunks about the size of 2 fists (each piece)
I think I'll leave it at that and finish on charcoal.
Last time my meat was perhaps too smokey. Let's see how it works. 20210525_164520.jpg

17:00

I must be in the stall now.

Ive seen the meat peak at 171f and then reduce back to 163f.
Maybe this means I've just beat the stall and now it's time to progress quickly.

I decided not to wrap.

I want the tenderness, juicyness and the bark.

Looks like some nice ribs and you're on your way! Based on my experience, I think these will take you longer than your desired 7PM, especially w/o a braise. That's OK but plan on that chicken for dinner until the ribs finish. :emoji_wink:

112°F , ouch! :emoji_sunglasses::emoji_sunglasses::emoji_sunglasses:

Reactions: PPG1
Looks like some nice ribs and you're on your way! Based on my experience, I think these will take you longer than your desired 7PM, especially w/o a braise. That's OK but plan on that chicken for dinner until the ribs finish. :emoji_wink:

112°F , ouch! :emoji_sunglasses::emoji_sunglasses::emoji_sunglasses:

I think you are right.

Its 6pm now.
These fellas have been cooking for 5 hours already.

They have shrunk so much, I'm not sure what my wife will eat now. :-)

I'm on coals only now. Keeping the temp very stable at approximately 275f.

Im getting hungry.
20210525_174858.jpg Screenshot_20210525-175924_Inkbird Pro.jpg

Hi Gaz, I live in the AZ desert and cook in high temps half the year, love it here. Beef short ribs are just about my favorite thing on the planet to smoke, I have a offset too. My SQ36 smoker is very happy running in the 275º, a rack of shorts will usually take right around seven hours, shoot for a IT of 203º and toothpick probe tender. Brisket on a stick, hot weather smokin', doesn't get any better than that, you're lookin' good! RAY
DSCN2076.JPG

Oh my
Its now 7:15pm
Im starved.
The wife is angry.

Seriously underestimated the time of this cook.
I should thrown a Brisket on there too for tomorrow's dinner.
Such a large job for a few little ribs!!

To.be honest I've had fun, and actually I had no idea what 1kg of ribs was before I ordered them.
I thought it was enough to feed 6 people!
Now I know.

Pits at 280f
Internal temp is 183f

:-(

It looks like you're getting some great bark with a nice pull-back on those ribs Gaz, they'll be done when they're ready, and not before. That why when smoking ribs, butts, and brisket side dishes like tater salad, slaw, and beans are so popular, they'll wait until the meat is done. I did a rack of spares on my offset Sunday, took six and a half hours, good things are worth the wait. RAY
DSCN3021.JPG

It looks like you're getting some great bark with a nice pull-back on those ribs Gaz, they'll be done when they're ready, and not before. That why when smoking ribs, butts, and brisket side dishes like tater salad, slaw, and beans are so popular, they'll wait until the meat is done. I did a rack of spares on my offset Sunday, took six and a half hours, good things are worth the wait. RAY
View attachment 497495

Oh wow! They look seriously epic!

Mine look the part so far.

So it's 7:50pm. Internal temp is 200f..... Ladies and Gents we could be near to probe time.
I am praying these are ready at first probe. I done a probe at 190f and they seemed quite tender.

Wife has progressed through the hungry and angry phases and now seems super relaxed, she's doing some paperwork............... Divorce Papers?

8pm

I'm reading 204 and 205f on the Ribs now.

Done a probe with my Thermo pen.
It went through with ease, but not like warm butter as has been described to me on the youtube videos.

Looks good! So how'd they turn out? Was the wife happy?

Ryan

Hi Gaz, I live in the AZ desert and cook in high temps half the year, love it here. Beef short ribs are just about my favorite thing on the planet to smoke, I have a offset too. My SQ36 smoker is very happy running in the 275º, a rack of shorts will usually take right around seven hours, shoot for a IT of 203º and toothpick probe tender. Brisket on a stick, hot weather smokin', doesn't get any better than that, you're lookin' good! RAY
View attachment 497489
Does that thermometer mean that if you're outside for 4 hrs you're cooked past the danger zone or that if you sit in a pool you get SV cooked to rare? :-)

Reactions: Brokenhandle
So, 7.5 hours later and they are done.

Pulled them at 204 and 207f.
I'm not sure leaving them to 210f would of helped

They were probing almost like butter.

To be honest, I think maybe the meat was not marbled enough?

Some pictures attached.

They were juicy and tasty.
Not quite as juicy as I have seen on YouTube.
The ends were not burnt, but a little bit tougher and more crisper.

Oh and 1kg for 2 people is not enough. I could of ate double.

Here's some pics.

20210525_202337.jpg Screenshot_20210525-212543_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210525-212540_Gallery.jpg

So, 7.5 hours later and they are done.

Pulled them at 204 and 207f.
I'm not sure leaving them to 210f would of helped

They were probing almost like butter.

To be honest, I think maybe the meat was not marbled enough?

Some pictures attached.

They were juicy and tasty.
Not quite as juicy as I have seen on YouTube.
The ends were not burnt, but a little bit tougher and more crisper.

Oh and 1kg for 2 people is not enough. I could of ate double.

Here's some pics.

View attachment 497572View attachment 497573View attachment 497574
Looks good to me! Juicy and tasty works!

Does that thermometer mean that if you're outside for 4 hrs you're cooked past the danger zone or that if you sit in a pool you get SV cooked to rare? :-)

At these temps, my neighbour fried an egg on a plate outside.
I'm yet to try it, but I suppose it would work.

Maybe I can just throw a Brisket in there for 2 days with no coals or sticks?? 115f for 48hours :-)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky