Mojo Criollo Pollo Tacos, and How My Recteq Almost Foiled Our Dinner

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
I'll start with the latter,
I go out and clean the ol'pellet pooper before cooking, scrub the grates, change the foil and vacuum all the ash from the last three cooks.
Everything cleaned and prepped, hit the power button and wait for the initial warm up..... Nada!..... WTH!?
Wait, what's this ER-2 it's displaying? Shut it down, run it through the test modes..... I've a bad igniter.
I'll have to call Recteq CS tomorrow.

Not to be denied I laid flame to the pellets in the fire pot and got it going... Yay!

Mojo Criollo Pollo
I cheated and used Goya brand bottled marinade, and marinated for about 26 hours.
Grill, shred and let the family make tacos.

L6CGdPE.jpg

2q1n2NQ.jpg

W2A7z49.jpg

yZ1K0AF.jpg

uN650vB.jpg

Last edited:
Wow John, that is a nice looking batch of chick thighs.

And I would have to say it would be a toss up between the casserole and the tacos
( because I would also be full from all the chicken skins I ate while pulling the thighs apart )

Nice looking meal of Tacos

David

PS: way to beat the machine over man battle.

Chile isn't going to be bested by a little igniter problem right??

Great looking meal you got there!
Thanks Doc.
One way or another I was having tacos for dinner, I gotta have my taco fix about once a week or so.
Tacos for the he entire town?! Lol, looks awesome, ton o chicken. Bummer about the igniter…
No way Jose!
Them folks is gonna have to prepare their own taco feast.
I'm cooking for seven, and I'm a leftover chowhound so there ya have it.
Awsome cook John. My YS-640 has been hand lit for about 3 years, no problem. Nice work Sir.
Thank ya.
Yep as long as the auger and fan is working, it's on with the show!
Wow John, that is a nice looking batch of chick thighs.

And I would have to say it would be a toss up between the casserole and the tacos
( because I would also be full from all the chicken skins I ate while pulling the thighs apart )

Nice looking meal of Tacos

David

PS: way to beat the machine over man battle.
Thank you David.
LOL! Almost every skin got a nice piece of charred meat, salsa and queso, and was greedily stuffed into my eager piehole.

Last edited:
Way to save dinner, that’s too bad on the igniter. They are ceramic and should last a very long time….. I’m betting it’s a wire issue at one of the commotions at one of the ends…… either way RT will have a new one to you quickly

Last edited:
Reactions: chilerelleno
Damn, what a killer meal!!!
I eat Mexican food at least twice a week, I love the stuff.
Appreciate it.
Me too, breakfast is often Migas or some sort of breakfast taco/burrito.
Way to save dinner, that’s too bad on the igniter. They are ceramic and should last a very long time….. I’m betting it’s a wire issue at one of the commotions at one of the ends…… either way RT will have a new one to you quickly
Oh yeah, RT CS is very good.
Very nice, Chile! I'll take a couple of these...😋
View attachment 683105
Thank ya, thank ya very much! [Elvis voice]
Lots of leftovers, made a great 2am snack, and about to do lunch.
Where ya at? Not here? So sad.
As it should be , cooks treats, and maybe share 1 of 12 with the wife :emoji_yum:

David
HA! She was the first to grab a skin off a thigh.
Mama knows whats good too, and I ain't fool enough to smack her hand 😉
Wow John, I'd hate to see your food bill!!! You sure do put out some exquisite eats, and in mass quantities.

View attachment 683106

Point for sure
Chris
Loved the ConeHeads back in the day.
SNL was a favorite since I was a little kid.
The movie wasn't bad either, Dan Akroyd and Chris Farley.
Hell Yeah!

As for mass quantities, man that's just par for the course around here. I'm feeding seven people, and the kids aren't munchkins any longer, so 2 thighs per person is the norm.
One tray doesn't cut it, two trays leaves me some leftovers, and leftovers is a must have for me.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: DRKsmoking
Talked to Recteq CS, gotta a new igniter on the way.

However they could not help me with the firmware issue when using the Wi-fi Test Mode.
It would get to the final 5-6 UFI screen and lock up every time, will not go to the BYE screen and allow me to exit the test mode as designed.
They said nothing they could do, I should unplug it to restart it.

I also told them their instructions for test mode are in error.
Section 9: pertaining to screen 5-6 UFI, says,
Press the power button to move to 5-6 UFI. Plug the meat probes into the ports to test their accuracy. Press power to move from Probe A to Probe B. If either probe reading is off, they can be calibrated within the settings menu.
The bolded portion should be listed in Section: 8, screen 5-5 along with the info about the RTD therm (cooking chamber temp).
Maybe they'll edit that :emoji_thinking:

Last edited:
Leftovers for Dinner!
Three of us opted for leftovers.
Shred more meat, add in rest of diced onion, roasted bell peppers and some salsa.
In a skillet put some color on the chicken onion and bell pepper, add some salt, garlic and cumin.
Add some salsa and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
Done!
Pretty close to Chicken Fajitas, taste about the same, YUM!

mSWAPIy.jpg

xzasR3E.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky