Minion in a stick burner.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

racepro171

Original poster
May 25, 2017
Ottawa canada
Hello. Been at this since spring. I can do minion in my Weber kettle with no issues for 9-11hrs. But in my highland reverse flow. The entire box ends up in flames. Everything is seeled up. Minion bars. Basket. Smaller opening to cc. Good draft. Intake is usually around 1/4 open. Exhaust full open. Any help???
Basket will hold about 10lbs of briquettes. I'm useing kingsford competition . For the lower ash.
I get great heat and steady temps with a small bunch of lump and a log every 1hr. So that works.

In which direction are you burning the coals? Away from or towards the air inlet. If you start the coals nearest the inlet, then the draft will push the fire through the coals quicker. I have had some success by keeping the fire near the CC and stacking splits in the direction away from the CC and towards the inlet. This was with splits however and it hasn't always worked as well as planned. 

Are your "Minion bars" aranged something similar to this?

This looks like a neat little basket for a side box..

I have exact set up. I've tried bars in both directions. Started coals burning close to cc and air. Same results. No splits when trying minion. Just 2x2 blocks of wood placed between and on top of coals.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky