MES Generation Number Recognition Pictures & Info (Digital Units)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have the same model. It’s a “B” so no window but the inside is definitely a 2.5

That's Great, DJ !!
That's a Real Good Model !!
Being from Colorado, I hope your altitude isn't too high for that AMNPS.
High Altitudes call for the AMNTS (Tube).

Bear

Hey Bear, finally got around to using the 8"x5" AMNPS this past weekend. Funny thing about the high altitude you mention - I couldn't keep the pellets lit for longer than a few minutes even with the chip loader tube removed & vent wide open (it was a pretty calm night). I ended up putting a small fan on the lowest speed pointed at the hole of the chip loader tube. That sucker smoked all night all the way to the end (13 hours). Worked like a champ and I am happy I no longer have to babysit the wood chip tray all night. Thanks!

Hey Bear, finally got around to using the 8"x5" AMNPS this past weekend. Funny thing about the high altitude you mention - I couldn't keep the pellets lit for longer than a few minutes even with the chip loader tube removed & vent wide open (it was a pretty calm night). I ended up putting a small fan on the lowest speed pointed at the hole of the chip loader tube. That sucker smoked all night all the way to the end (13 hours). Worked like a champ and I am happy I no longer have to babysit the wood chip tray all night. Thanks!

That's Great, DJ !!
Hopefully it will work like that for you all the time.
I'll continue to tell people at High Altitudes that they should get the Tube, because I don't want to list all the mods you can do to make the wrong one work. Your Fan being one of the better Mods to help the Tray in High Altitudes.

Enjoy,
Bear

I saw a mod ,here or on another site, where a guy took a computer fan out of an old PC, (they are 24v if i remember correctly) and mounted into a short piece of 3" aluminum duct (fits about perfectly into the chip loader hole) and then used a transformer and a rheostat to get the air flow to his AMNPS dialed about perfectly in so it got just enough to maintain thin blue, but not so much air that he was igniting or plowing through pellets to quickly.

I saw a mod ,here or on another site, where a guy took a computer fan out of an old PC, (they are 24v if i remember correctly) and mounted into a short piece of 3" aluminum duct (fits about perfectly into the chip loader hole) and then used a transformer and a rheostat to get the air flow to his AMNPS dialed about perfectly in so it got just enough to maintain thin blue, but not so much air that he was igniting or plowing through pellets to quickly.

Yup, There's a couple like that on here. I try to keep this thread apart from those.
If you put everything on one Thread, nobody would understand anything.IMHO

Bear

Reactions: jimmyinsd
someone told me this was a gen 2.5 but based on bear's photos this looks like a gen 2 correct? Also is this a good gen 2 smoker or should i go with this gen 2.5 smoker? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Masterb...-Electric-Smoker-with-Legs-20072415/205515767

You're showing 2 different Smokers:
The one above in the Amazon ad is a Gen #2. I'd stay away from it.
It has the worst part---The slanted Drip plate with the little water pan.

The one below in the Home Depot Link is a Gen #2.5(the best), but it's only an MES 30.
If you really want an MES 30, then that Home Depot Gen #2.5 is your target.

Bear

Is it a mistake to go for a 30" instead of a 40"? It is myself, my wife and my son.

A lot of People think "It's only two of us, a 30 is fine:
So that's what I did on my first MES, but then I had to cut my rib racks in pieces, and my Brisket.
And when I made a small amount of Beef Sticks---10 pounds----I had to Smoke 7 pounds & do the other 3 the next day.

So I saved a couple bucks by getting the 30" instead of the 40".
Then I bought the 40" the next year & lost money when I sold the 30".
So it actually cost me more $$$ by getting the 30" in the first place.
I can tell you there are a lot of guys who bought an MES 30, and wish they would have bought the MES 40.
However I know of nobody who bought an MES 40 that wishes he would have bought the MES 30.

Just thought you should know the above. Now it's your decision.

Bear

what is a good price for a 40" BT Gen 2.5 smoker? Also what places do you think have the best price on them?

what is a good price for a 40" BT Gen 2.5 smoker? Also what places do you think have the best price on them?

About the best prices I see now & then is $279 up to $329.
There are a few guys here that are better at finding them for good prices, but just off the top of my head, Sam's Club, Cabelas, Bass Pro, Academy, & a few others.

Bear

Last year black Friday sales at Academy lasted weeks and had the Gen 1 40 hybrids at like $150.00.

Academy has great prices. I bought my 140B for $199.00 and love it. I also added an Auber WiFi controller.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky