Mes draft

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kevinbthgrouse

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 27, 2020
Antigo Wisconsin
How do I increase draft or airflow ... this is a candle inside my smoker with a fan blowing in the dump tube hole it barely flickers so I would assume that's why nothing stays going inside the smoker

Attachments

• IMG_20200414_165149815.jpg
    IMG_20200414_165149815.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 41
I can't keep a lighter lit at the rear back drain hole from so.much air sucking into the smoker in my Mes gen 1 40. I foil over the bottom drip pan hole to the drain and cap it with a rubber cap on the outside unless I do a whole packer brisket, keeping all air coming through the mailboc past the pellets. Lots of air comes in through the drain.

How high of a stack..I have about a 4"now. exhaust wide open...the candle can't be blown out with a fan blowing in the hole not enough air coming in

I'm on vacation Friday I plan to figure this thing out or go shopping for a new smoker... It's definitely a air issue as each day is different as the weather changes nothing I do or try stays consistent except my process until it doesn't work...then I resort to the hot plate and chunks

How high of a stack..I have about a 4"now. exhaust wide open...the candle can't be blown out with a fan blowing in the hole not enough air coming in
I'm confused why you want the candle to blow out? Exhaust wide open and you must have the dump tube out, correct?

Putting a exhaust stack really helped mine. About a $8 experiment ???
Can you tell me what you used for the $8 stack? I have been looking for something to use on my MES 40 Gen 1. BTW I use the side MEW smoke generator, top vent wide open, took smoke chip tray out completely. My only issue is I also use the amazn tray and cannot keep it lit more than an hour at a time. I use it on the bottom left.

I'm confused why you want the candle to blow out? Exhaust wide open and you must have the dump tube out, correct?
I can't get air through the smoker I actually can't keep anything going in there..the candle was for me testing the smoker for air movement it eventually goes out no oxygen...the candle doesn't flicker with the dump tube removed so not much air movement??

A fan is what really helps me keep things going but if it's breezy then it burns to fast and no smoke.. maybe I should try to get the MB cold smoker attachment working properly...the 560 model really has my interest

I don't think they make the MB cold smoker anymore. I got it 6 years ago, maybe longer. If it stops working, I'll go to the mailbox mod.

What is the model of the smoker. I only have problems when I dont take time to get the pellets going in the amazen tray. What about when you just use the chip loader?

I light the pellets with a torch and wait at least 10+ minutes until 1/4 of the row is red and then blow out the flame. place tray on bottom left of MEW 40, close door, and it goes out in 1-1.5 hours.
Relight, etc, same thing. Weather conditions do not matter. I'm thinking if I add a chimney might draw more air flow. But I cannot seem to find an easy stack to use.

Reactions: Kevinbthgrouse
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky