MES 30 Digital to PID

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

morkfrompork

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 7, 2015
Valrico, FLA.
So the display on my smoke box went all wonky. Looked like hieroglyphics. Guess it got wet. Anyway, found a placement here..https://www.appliancefactoryparts.com/gasgrillparts/masterbuilt/20078715.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgrWWtZr44wIVBYbICh2oFA4GEAAYAiAAEgKM9fD_BwE..
But as long as I was going to have to work on it anyway, I went looking around for alternatives.
Enter the PID controller. A proportional–integral–derivative controller.
In human being speak, it turns your heating element on and off at a set temp. range.
This is the one I got and have been using for the last few months.
Install was a snap. Used the MES power cord directly wired to the heating element You plug it into the PID and you plug the PID into wall or extension cord.
Install done.
Took all of 5 minutes to program it to start heat until hitting 250 Deg. Shut off until cooled to 245 deg. and come back on.
Total time from install to use, less than an hour.
This thing rocks. So glad I got this and not any OG replacement parts.
So, if your electric smoke box control system takes a hike, you could do a whole lot worse than going the same way I did.

I'm guessing it does a much better job of keeping the temperature stable and is more accurate than the original controller.

So you wired around the hi limit switch ? That's a bit risky. But to each their own

I could be mistaken this time, but in most cases there is no rewiring really needed to the controller. A temperature probe attached to the PID is placed in the smoker, and the smoker plugged into an outlet on the PID (think power strip, but only one receptacle). The PID is then plugged into the wall, and you program the PID to the temp you want. It then controls the heating element and turns it on and off to maintain the programmed temperature.

Good move. I converted my 40" MES to PID (Auber) even before it died on its own. It holds temp within 1 degree +/- and turns the MES into a fine smoker.
Since all the MES are essentially a smoke box, with different sizes and control systems it became a no brainer on what to do when the original system went kaput. Certainly when looking at the dollar amounts involved, again, no brainer. Kudos to you..not sure I would have done this if my original system didn`t go belly up. Doing the mailbox mod and adding the PID to my MES turned this into a first rate smoke box

I could be mistaken this time, but in most cases there is no rewiring really needed to the controller. A temperature probe attached to the PID is placed in the smoker, and the smoker plugged into an outlet on the PID (think power strip, but only one receptacle). The PID is then plugged into the wall, and you program the PID to the temp you want. It then controls the heating element and turns it on and off to maintain the programmed temperature.
Spot on. The ease and simplicity was a big factor in my choice.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky