Meijer Back Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Thomas The Tank

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 24, 2018
Valparaiso, IN
Any opinion on meijer baby back ribs. I have bought them many times but they always seem like they are from a chop shop. Extra bone pieces I have cut out, fattier, etc. they taste good when I smoke them but a lot of extra prep work.

They have a sale today and tomorrow buy one get one free. I was debating getting a few racks because of the deal, but already have a few frozen from the last sale.

I’ve figured the cost before and with the deal they are a bit cheaper than sams club. Just wondering if I’m better off going thru what I have already and purchasing from sams next time since the sams ones seem cleaner and meatier. The only issue I have with the sams is they are cryovac in a pack of 3 so it’s either freeze the whole thing and plan to smoke them all at once or wrap and freeze each individually which is extra time spent...

The woes of trying to outweigh time and quality between brands. Lol!

Not a big fan of Meijer ribs as they are usually not the lion back ribs that have a little more meat on them. I am even less of a fan of their BOGO deals as they just jack up the regular price on the ribs. But if your net per Lb price for all meat purchased is around $2.50 /lb for loin baby backs it would be a decent price from Meijer

Barry.

If you happen to have a Costco near you I really like theirs. They were $2.97 this week near Indy and very meaty. I only buy the ones marked natural at the chains like Meijer and Kroger. Of course at Kroger those are $4.99

I don’t have a Costco membership but our sams club price is 2.79lb
I ended up getting a few racks from Meijer since I was going already. They are all natural loin back ribs. Regular Price per lb is 3.99. So after the deal I paid ~2.00lb.

Back ribs at Kroger are 1.77 and Meijer 1.49 today. Pork is cheap here. Last run of regular ribs (kroger) I did I used Al's method that requires measuring IT and they were great but took forever, 9 hours... I actually think since pork is so plentiful in the Midwest they are leaving much more meat on the bone (or restaurants get real thin ribs to maximize profits) or maybe a little of both, but that is gonna translate into more cook time. I could tear up a full rack at Damon's and eat my sides but I can't even finish a half rack at home. If you do 321 etc and do not check IT I think they will be cooked but not in "the zone" and chewy etc. I've been meaning to do a poll or something and find out the average weight per rack is here. Real excited to run some ribs since I added vinegar to Jeff's sauce. OMG.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky