Meat slicer, need some help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I bought a big old industrial Hobart on Ebay...........the thing is old and heavy but works like a charm. Got it for $60 if I remember correctly. I would check there depending on what you are looking for.

I have had a small slicer made by "Rival" for years. It cost from $80 to $110 in the hardware store, it has about a 8 in blade. It works pretty good, but sure isn't like the commercial machines, I should check on ebay too.
One thing that sure helps is to have the meat as cold as possable when slicing, especially if your doing it thin, like in jerky. "Almost" froze works best. Also, the metal piece that goes against the meat while your slicing, when the meat chunck get small, be VERY careful, or you will run that piece of metal, which has bent tabs of metal facing the meat and blade, into the blade, you sure don't want to dull the blade.
Hope this helps.
smile.gif
Terry

Do you still have all your fingers? I remember back in the day when I was a prep cook and had to clean those scary things. Damn those blades were sharp!

Thanks for the link Gypsy, thats a fine looking home model.

I have the one Gypsy put in a link to...I think there are a few of us who have them here...I didn't get mine from the same place and I think I got it cheaper than $99

I got the sam one Smoked mentioned. I agree with his thoughts on the tray being to small ...... I'm a wuss and wont modify it,
icon_confused.gif
I just cut the meat down before I slice it. But it works like a champ for normal needs.

After I let my butts or briskets rest in the cooler (hot and foiled) I put them in the fridge before slicing (or pulling for that matter). This would be just the ticket for sliced brisket or butt. OK, I talked myself in to it.

I got the same one as Smoked also and it is a work horse! Smoked was the ring leader on these slicers!

The table is a bit small but you can angle a wide piece of meat up to slice it easily enough. I've been thinking of getting longer rods to extend the table length for wider pastramis and such, but I only remember when it's time to slice - DUH!

The only thing it doesn't do well is cheese - cheese stick to the blade and mashes after awhile. You can get aound this if the cheese is partcially frozen but it's still a PITA. Great slicer though!

I shopped Ebay for a few months but the commercial ones always got above my price range. I eventually got an old Rival slicer for $45 and it works alright but I had to fix a few things. OK it's an old POS and I wish I had saved my money for something better. That one Smoked has looks like what I should have gotten.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky