Masterbuilt Smokers (Bear’s Thoughts & Findings)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
 Thanks DoneGotFat. I think I saw in a pic that kinda S shaped pellet tube that even fits on the bottom of my MES30?
I have seen a tray that has the "S" look.

It was advised by many to elevate it some from the bottom of the MES so that air can circulate under it to allow for proper burning of the pellets or dust put into the tray..

There are several topics that mention what they used to raise it from welded steel, to the large spring clips used to hold papers together.

Thanks DoneGotFat. I think I saw in a pic that kinda S shaped pellet tube that even fits on the bottom of my MES30?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Tray in the Picture "DoneGotFat" showed is the AMNPS.

It was designed to fit perfectly on the support rods in the bottom of the Gen #1 MES 30. You can put it in any MES Digital unit, and most other smokers.

I fill mine up, get one end lit properly, then put it in my smoker, and I get Constant Perfect, continuous, smoke for up to 11 hours, without having to touch it.

I love it !!

Bear

Thanks bearcarver and DoneGotFat. I'll keep this in mind if my electric cold smoke feeder attachment gives me trouble or if the tray fails to provide enough steady smoke. I have only used the hot or cold smoke feeder once so far. Everything else has been a relatively short smoke (3hrs).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think anyone can get great smoked meat out of the MES without the AMPNS - you can get the tubes too - they work great as well!

I have seen a tray that has the "S" look.

It was advised by many to elevate it some from the bottom of the MES so that air can circulate under it to allow for proper burning of the pellets or dust put into the tray..

There are several topics that mention what they used to raise it from welded steel, to the large spring clips used to hold papers together.

Can't get any simpler than adding a few clips to the bottom of the MAZE to raise it off the floor of your smoker

I don't think anyone can get great smoked meat out of the MES without the AMPNS - you can get the tubes too - they work great as well!
The Tube does indeed work great and so does the Smoke Ring from Smoker Daddy. I have both and both will do the job,, but prefer the Smoke Ring as I find it more user friendly, especially to light and start smoking properly and faster. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Will fat drippings mess with the amnps? I have a 30inch mes. so there's no way I could do a butt without fat drippings getting on it.

Depends on which generation of MES 30 you have. This one is the Gen 1. The Gen 1 comes with an oval drip tray, but I prefer to use a disposable aluminum pan lined with foil to catch the drips and protect the AMNPS.  It just sits on top of the chip tray housing. Now if you have a later generation than this with a slanted drip tray, you have a couple different options, but I cant speak for those other than what I have read.

I have the later generation with the window and legs.
If I had that generation I would put the AMNPS on the floor of the smoker held up with those binder clips shown above. Put it right below the little drip/water pan. The other option is to make a tent for the AMNPS and set it over the hole of the slanted drip tray and move the small drip/water pan to the floor.

I can tell you guys which places I have Personally found to be the best for the AMNPS:

Gen #1----Put AMNPS on the Support Rods in the bottom, to the left of the Chip Burner Assembly.

Gen #2----Remove the small water pan from the slanted Drip plate. Then Set the AMNPS over the hole left by removing the water pan. Put a Foil pan under the hole in case any dripping occurs.

Gen #2.5----Put the Bottom Rack in & set the AMNPS all the way on the right end of that rack. If you need more air flow, pull the Chip Dumper out 2" to 3". If it smokes too Heavy, push it back in.

Bear

I have the Generation  2.5 and I put the SMOKE RING 1 1/2" to 2" off the floor on the left side with chip loader pulled out 1' to 2" and I have plenty of smoke. I quit using the AMNPS, so I can't speak for what it will do on bottom shelf, but if it works where Bear said to place it, then I will have to believe him as he is the more experienced on these things. I would try my AMNPS there and see, but am I happy with the results of my SMOKE RING on the bottom, so will leave it at that,

Last edited:
I use both the Masterbuilt cold smoker that sells for around $60 and the Amazing pellet smoker depending on how heavy I want the smoke. The cold smoker puts out more smoke in less time then the Amazing pellet smoker I also find it easier to find wood chips then pellets. I like red oak on my beef. I don't know of anyone carries red oak pellets, so I use the cold smoker for beef, or my WSM. I probably have 80 pounds of different kinds or pellets and maybe 150 pounds of different kinds of wood chips, chunks and splits for my WSM and cold smoker. Another thing I like about the pellet smokers is that I can use them in my grills or as Fomeheart says " you could easily use them to smoke in a cardboard box. Bottom line for me is that my MES 40 2.5 gen and the Amazing pellet smoker is the easiest to use and bothe do a great job.
Randy,

The MES 40 is a wonderful thing, and I imagine people can get great results with various methods.  I've used the built in chip tray and finally figured out the Masterbuilt "cold smoke" unit, which now works great.  I know I'd love the others, too, but mainly it's about the meat, the rub, the smoke, and the fun, right?
I use both the Masterbuilt cold smoker that sells for around $60 and the Amazing pellet smoker depending on how heavy I want the smoke. The cold smoker puts out more smoke in less time then the Amazing pellet smoker I also find it easier to find wood chips then pellets. I like red oak on my beef. I don't know of anyone carries red oak pellets, so I use the cold smoker for beef, or my WSM. I probably have 80 pounds of different kinds or pellets and maybe 150 pounds of different kinds of wood chips, chunks and splits for my WSM and cold smoker. Another thing I like about the pellet smokers is that I can use them in my grills or as Fomeheart says " you could easily use them to smoke in a cardboard box. Bottom line for me is that my MES 40 2.5 gen and the Amazing pellet smoker is the easiest to use and bothe do a great job.
Randy,
Nice!  I have the MES 40 Gen 1, and I figure I'll use it until it dies or I suddenly find a lot of extra money, and then I'd love to get the Gen 2.5.  I agree, the cold smoker puts out a ton of smoke.  I like its convenience, still figuring it out, but that's half the fun!

Did you know that you can load it with chips turn it on, get it smoking good then crack the ash drawer a bit and turn it off and it will smoke for hours longer then with the element on? Fomeheart told me that trick. I am not sure if it works with wet chips I never soak mine. It was explained to me that they make boats out of wood because would floats and foes

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky