Masterbuilt problems

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
This is a two-stage, low pressure reg that is not adjustable. Two stages provide a more stable delivery as the pressure in the tank changes, which it can vary quite a lot going from a cool evening to hot sun. This worked very well with a needle valve.

FFDE6686-7A5C-4F3D-9A29-D6468A85068E.jpeg

You need to stick with a low pressure reg.

This is a two-stage, low pressure reg that is not adjustable. Two stages provide a more stable delivery as the pressure in the tank changes, which it can vary quite a lot going from a cool evening to hot sun. This worked very well with a needle valve.

View attachment 636873

You need to stick with a low pressure reg.
Thank you, Smoke. Did you attach the needle valve to the other end of that line? BTW, where in Oregon are you? I'm right across the Big River to the north, up in the hills.

Thanks to all the help here, and some research, I just today put together the rig that I think will work to control the flame on my Masterbuilt 30" Smoker and finally get it down to proper smoking temperatures. I learned
that the setup on the MB and other smokers is a low pressure system, and needs different accessories from high pressure systems. Bikerbob sent a picture of the rig he put together, and with that as a guide, I found a very helpful guy at R&L Enterprise in Albuquerque. <https://thepropaneman.com/AboutUs.htm>. Randy spent a lot of time talking with me and texting pictures back and forth to put together the little rig I needed. It is basically an in-line needle valve as OldSmoke and bikerbob have suggested, but since the hose that came with my smoker has a 5/16" inner diameter, I also needed two adapters to fit the right sized hose barbs.The picture here is the setup Randy came up with. It's simple, but it should work. I'll cut my existing hose and put it together. And man will I be happy if this finally turns this Masterbuilt into a functional smoker! Again, thanks to all for the help.
My Propane setup w.Needle Valve.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
Here is my setup, it is heavily modified with a wind skirt, PID controller, smoke generator, and a convection fan. It is one of those crazy ideas that works really well. I started with just a needle valve and it made a night and day difference.

CC9F43E8-27AA-4D33-978B-A0FD3CAC83EF.jpeg
24C8CB71-A0C7-4008-8AC9-3756A32D8ED8.jpeg
B680F788-D7B1-4668-8FA2-07F3C6F78297.jpeg

Reactions: NewBuilder
Thanks to all the help here, and some research, I just today put together the rig that I think will work to control the flame on my Masterbuilt 30" Smoker. I want to stress that the setup on the MB and other smokers is a low pressure system, and need different accessories from high pressure systems. I found a very helpful guy at
R&L Enterprise in Albuquerque. <https://thepropaneman.com/AboutUs.htm>. Randy spent a good deal of time talking with me and texting pictures back and forth to put together the little rig I needed. It is basically an in-line needle valve as OldSmoke and bikerbob have suggested, but since the hose that came with the smoker has a 5/16" inner diameter, I also needed two adapters to fit the right sized hose barbs.The picture here is the setup he came up with. It's simple, but it should work. I'll cut my existing hose and put it togetherView attachment 636916
In SW Gresham! When I saw your name I got curious too.
Very cool! We're neighbors, as the crow flies, and not a lot farther away via roads and bridges.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky