Maryland state goverment now regulating BBQ pits

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Do you run a commercial BBQ?  If not, then you need not be concerned.  The regulation applys only to large (3.6 30-inch Masterbuilt or equivalent) NON-RESIDENTIAL BBQ, operated for more than 2 days per week and more than 15 days per year.

You might run into trouble with a big truck drawn rig that you took around to various locations to cook on weekends, but not your normal home usage.

And since you are not in Maryland, you need not be concerned anyhow.

Last edited:
And since you are not in Maryland, you need not be concerned anyhow.
I think it's pretty harsh to tell someone 'you need not be concerned anyhow'.  This is simply the sharing of a bit of BBQ news that someone has found.  It does not seem like an attack on MD or anyone.  This being a BBQ forum (with folks from all around the United States and beyond) is probably the most logical place to share such a story.  

Thank you GLGOODWIN for sharing this info, I found it pretty interesting.

What GoFish said!  Since when do you have to reside in a specific place to discuss or share information about a place?  I mean is it not of interest or something dale?  I think it is quite relevant and of interest to our community (SMF), don't you?  Maybe dale was a little grumpy at 4:30 this morning! haha  
icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the information. I wonder if the same type of regulations apply in my state of South Cariolina.? Guess I will do some checkin. As for not living in Maryland. the last time I checked  I live is a small part of this great country.

"Do you run a commercial BBQ?  If not, then you need not be concerned." 

This sounds like someone who believes each states borders are like a door that should be kept closed. Any state regulation that affects you affects me. This being said I think I'll go cook something
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

I just thought it was interesting that the purpose of regulating the use of these smokers was to prevent air pollution.  The state of Maryland has official declared that Barbecue pits are a source of air pollution.  If you click the link above it is states in the first paragraph "All installations which are potential sources of air pollution (which includes charbroilers and pit barbecues) are regulated and require a permit or approval from the Maryland Department of the Environment" That is directly from the state of Maryland website. 

Its only one state, and they only regulate commecial pits.  But just remeber the first time the federal income tax was created it was only a 1% percent tax.  And I know this isnt a federal regulation, buts states often mimick each other.  and Further what is classified as non-residential.  that could in the future translate to other things such as BBQ cometions and events, gatherings...  you name it.

Last edited:
I live in Louisiana,( Americas banana republic).

looks like maryland has copied a page out of our playbook.

Easy way to make a few bucks for the state.

The only folks that this will affect is the commercial smoker and  a one time $200 fee is to them ,just another cost of doing buisiness.

there are no provisions listed that i saw for inspection and reinspection of commercial pits.

This is more than likely an attempt to cut down on the guy who sets up in a vacant lot w/ his smoker and sells meat. Here they do this and move every weekend to avoid health inspector and

vendor permits.

The 2 day out of 7 exclusion allows for the compitition smokers and the weekend charity cooks to go forward w/o having to get a permit .

What GoFish said!  Since when do you have to reside in a specific place to discuss or share information about a place?  I mean is it not of interest or something dale?  I think it is quite relevant and of interest to our community (SMF), don't you?  Maybe dale was a little grumpy at 4:30 this morning! haha  
icon_rolleyes.gif
My response was worded the way it was because GLGOODWIN did not seem to be simply "sharing information", but putting out FUD about how BIG GOVERNMENT was out to get us and regulate our home BBQ and smokers.  As I said, his implication overstated the impact on the average person. 

And 0430 is my normal time for wrapping up and going to bed:-}}

Dale... are you in government? Why did this rattle your cage so? You seem defensive. Almost like you are the one who proposed this piece of government regulation. I don't think GL overstated anything. I took it as an FYI kind of thing with a little bit of humor mixed in. Chill out brother smoker. Relax. Take a deep breath. It'll be okay.

I am just over the border into PA, so it does not directly effect me but what I find interesting is that it is not just pits, the charbroiler or salamander that a lot of nonQ restaurants have would also have to be held the the same standards as the pits.

In honor of it being 7/11 today I'm feeling a little lucky today and am almost over the lag of last nights festive nature....let's roll out a barrel and some Jose Cuervo! 

I'm just baffled because I really didn't read anything into GLs post that was the least bit offensive or anti government.  Not to turn this into some sort of political thing...but frankly I don't like BG either!  
biggrin.gif

Anywho, lets get happy, i'ts 7/11...Rich, pass me another shot brother! Pandemonium hurry up and tap that barrel!  Dale, fire up that illegal smoker and lets get those ABTs smoke'en!

EDIT - oops GL, forgot to invite you to our lil summit here!  You bring the brisket!  

PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Last edited:
Dale... are you in government? Why did this rattle your cage so? You seem defensive. Almost like you are the one who proposed this piece of government regulation. I don't think GL overstated anything. I took it as an FYI kind of thing with a little bit of humor mixed in. Chill out brother smoker. Relax. Take a deep breath. It'll be okay.
I am not in government.  I'm retired (and have been for more than a decade).

I saw no humor in the original post as it said:

"Government may be to big, may over tax and may inffinge on to many rights.  But you touch my BBQ and IT WILL BE A REVOLUTION!"

I call that FUD.  He was acting like they were out to get us all.  If anyone reads the regulation (given in the link he posted), they will quickly realize that it does not apply to the majority of people who use and enjoy smokers and BBQs.  It only applies to commercial operations -- not the occasional BBQer, which I suspect is the category most people here fit into.

"Government may be to big, may over tax and may inffinge on to many rights"

You mean they aren't
biggrin.gif

"Government may be to big, may over tax and may inffinge on to many rights"

You mean they aren't
biggrin.gif
Let's start a smoke camp on the moon... politicians will be stopped at the moon's border
PDT_Armataz_01_40.gif
, and we can all go up in the TBS. After all, it worked for Cheech and Chong.  
PDT_Armataz_01_25.gif

All levies are a slippery slope, once THEY start taken a little here, then a little there, a little restriction here, and later a bigger restriction there.  I can only burn firewood on certain days of the week here in Sacramento, that applies to all residences. Its not a question if, THEY will intrude on one of your freedoms it is just a question of when.  Will being able to BBQ only on certain days be the next restriction?

In my last job I attended state agency meetings on business regulations, many regulations that were being considered started in another state.  THEY only want to enlarge and justify their existence with more regulations and levies.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky