Marketing: Should I or Shouldn't I

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

silverwolf636

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 18, 2008
East Ohio, Uhrichsville, Ohio
Well, after the past year of being laid off and being able to smoke the majority of my family's breakfasts and dinners, I've been approached by family and neighbors to market my smoked meats. They say either open up a small smoke-shack or smoke and sell it to the locally owned restaurants. I'm talking about the ribs, stuffed pork loins, fattys and even Pignits 3-tier meatloaf and more.
I'm just not sure how to go about this. I have almost four years of college but that's mainly purtaining to computer science and electronics not marketing.
I really think I am too backwards to be a salesman.
Any suggestions out there?
--ray--

First I would check out the regulations on getting a catering license in your area...After that you are covered legally for the most part. There might be some tax issues in your county or city. If you report them like EVERYONE does...
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

After that I would invest in some good business cards and give out some samples to different places that you think would be interested in buying from you. Your food will sell it's self so you won't need to be much of a "salesman" just a nice guy to work with. I did a catering business in Arizona for many years and was very successful. I did get burnt out with all the paper work and legal things. It was fun and made me decent money while I was laid off.

These are just some quick tips. It is a lot of work. But fun as well and if you can stay with cooking from your house it is less over head.

One thing also if you stay at your house it will afford you time for your reputation to grow. I went all over the state and other states with mine after a while.

There's a lot more to it than just loading up a smoker, selling, and cooking. There are permits from the health department to get, registering to collect sales tax (and all the paperwork to go along with it), lining up a quality supplier that will give you a decent price for the meat, etc.

Your local community college or vo-tech should offer classes or assistance in what to do to start your own business--that's what it will be if you market and sell. Some can even help you aquire small business loans to help with the initial overhead.

In my mind, it would be hard to charge enough for your time and trouble. Our local grocery has set up a smoke shack and sells ribs for $10 a rack. Someone selling just meat (with no other product sales to help cover costs) couldn't sell for that price and pay for time, wood, meat, seasonings, and all other costs incurred.

On the other hand, if you can build up a client-base willing to pay what it actually costs us to pursue the smoking habit (AND make a little profit) it would be awesome! Most folks don't have the luxury of pursuing a passion and getting paid for it.

I don't want to discourage you, but do want you to put everything pro and con on the balance scales of feasibility.

The best advice anyone can give is for you to do your homework before making a committment.

Best Wishes for whatever decision you come to.

Do what I did, and just open YOUR OWN place. I got my restaurant up and running for under $25,000. Lots of commercial equipment to be had cheap on eBay and just find a quaint diner location. I found one for under $600/mo rent. Don't let other restaurants take the glory of your labor go on your own, there is no better feeling.

I would also highly recommend that if you do this, you incorporate using an LLC or S Corp. This will help separate the conpany's assets from your personal ones. This can save your butt (pardon the pun) if something goes wrong and you get sued.

Great thread topic Ray. I am sure everyone here has had similar thoughts. Thanks for the great advice from those that have actually done it.

I did bring this up because it's been working on me and the thought that it has popped in others heads too. I used to own a photography studio for about ten years and I know how dealing with the public can be. It's goin to be a touchy decision. As in employment around here, there isn't much to speak of. The company that I am laid off from is one of the most sot after company's to work for around here.
I fully understand about the LLC and S corp. I just don't know what to do. My funds are very limited. In order for me to actually take a current, vacated, restaurant and fix it up for a smoke-shack would almost be impossible monitarily. It would probably be more feasable for me to put up a shed and build my own smoker out back or something along that area instead of trying to renovate an existing kitchen.
I have an area in front of my home, it's actually a front porch that a previous owner has built into a room that would work to possibly to get started. (I will submit photos in a bit of that area). I imagine some of you have seen some of the places in Texas where they wrap everthing up in paper and use plastic spoons. These are some highliy rated smoke places too.
Just not sure.....
--ray--

No sure where you live, but I live in a county that requires your property to be properly zoned, have a permit etc.

They even went so far to require the little league to replace everything in there snack stand with a 3 bay sink, NSF stainless counters and equipment.

Either way look into it, go for it, and good luck.

No on both. I had to quit college do to personal reasons with only 16 hrs to go. I have considered testing for the MCSE certification though. Last week I received a notice from the state that since I am laid off, there is special funding for people like me to go to college. In my case it would be to go back and finish. At 53 I'm not sure what to think about this. But I think I should.
--ray--

My big concern with you smoking the food and somebody else serving it to the public is what if they screw it up during the prepping and selling of it. It will be your reputation that suffers. So many places that serve food are very good at messing up even the easiest of entres that I would not want them serving food that I had prepared. Just my thoughts.

Nice thread you started Ray.
As you already know the laws are different everywhere you go so you would want to look into that so you know what is required.
Most states are now requiring you to become Food Safe Certified if you prepare foods, pretty much a BS class that you have to pay for so someone can give you a paper that tells you that you know what you knew before you had to pay them to tell you that you knew it!
Anyway...

Your best bet would be (as already stated) good meats at good prices, most restaurants out there charge anywhere from $12-$20 for a slab of ribs that are nowhere nearly as good as true BBQ ribs and people still pay it!

I think a good move that would help you ease into the world of food service and running a restaurant would be to try and start a small catering business.
Nothing big but doing small parties and such.

Know a guy who did 30,000 a month on the boardwalk..Last year.....Location..Plan...Location..

Location.......Location..........

Catering is probalby not a bad idea.

But - if you're only 16 hours short - get your self back to finish. Then you have your computer degree as well as smoking as a safety net.

Great thread, I have also thought about selling my creations to local joints, but have yet to sit down to see if there was money in it. I do know to make a living at it I'd have to sell a ton of sausage. Looking forward to more input, and best whish's to ya Ray with what ever you end up doing.

Good luck Ray!!! I don't know about where you live in Ohio but the county where I live the Health Department Is Relentless about their rules and regulations. Have seen many small resturants start and end around here. I hope that what ever you do it brings you success!
L8ter SOB

We just got back from a friends that invited us over for grilled steaks and WOW. He's a griller not a smoker. So I mentioned to him that I was considering opening a smoke-shack and his mouth just dropped. He said he was considering the same thing with grilled steaks. So we are putting our heads together and drawing up a plan/proposal. Last year someone opened up a bar/grill/restaurant and shut it down as quickly as he opened it. I know the reasons and it had nothing to do with no business. It sits at the intersection of two highways. It is also set up for entertainment. I am going to check this location out for starters. I am also heading to the Ohio website and check on small business legalities in the restaurant category. Wish me luck gang. lol
--ray--

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky