Makita Drill driven Pepper Mill.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

heapomeat

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 5, 2008
Cold Damp Rainy Seattle
Gee, why didn't I think of this before...........

After doing the latest batch (of many!!!!!!!!) of Jeffs AWESOME naked rib rub, man did my wrist get sore from grinding up 2.5 tablespoons of pepper (I run a 50/50 blend of white and black pepper corns in my mill)

Screw that (ha ha, get the joke?) Get out the makita drill and chuck it up to the pepper mill.......

MAN does this work awesome.........and if anything, the pepper mill works better afterwards (even by hand twisting), as if the higher RPM's of the drill cleans out the grinding surfaces or sharpens them or something.

Anyways, here is my new patented method to do fresh ground pepper in mass quantity, you can send me any royalty checks if and when you do this at home.........(grins, this works SLICK) For you text challenged people, picture is attached.......

You'd be amazed at how fast you go through pepper corns while chucked up to a cordless drill........check your pepper corn level often.....
a4e31aaa_vbattach17684.jpg

hmmmm love the intovation but I myself have a seperate grinder for spices-electric also.

I think I saw something like that on Good Eats! I kind of broke down and started buying it pre-ground at Sam's for big mixes, still have the pepper mill too, but, you know, you have an idea there!! hmmm

i have a cheapo coffee grinder that i use for grinding pepper and other spices-works good. but what ever works that fresh ground is the ticket!

I am lazy like erain and des, I bought a cheap coffee/spice grinder for 20 bucks. It works good and fast ! I do like your invention though.You sure your name aint Tim. Tim Taylor, hugh , hugh , hugh !
icon_smile.gif

Great Idea! I don't know why I hadn't thought of it. I don't use my peppermill much due to my arthritic wrist, but believe me that peppermill is about to go to work.
Stan

yeap.......what they said..........Alton Brown's Good Eats from several years ago.........still a great idea........but if its for a recipe.......thats what my spice grinder is for.......even easier.........
biggrin.gif

I have been thinking about a roof or a gazebo type enclosure--have you had any ideas?

Took her down to get weighed today 1040 lbs. She needs plates to get to fun places. The I rolled her through a self serve car wash. What a mess that was. I think I spent too much time on the outside of the firebox. I have to repaint her box now!
eek.gif

When the warmer weather decide s to stick around for more than 3 days, I am gonna wave the sandbalster over her and then repaint some spots, especially the firebox/warmer area.

She stays out in the weather Steve. I have a big shop/barn, but with 2 21-23 ft boats in there plus my shop tools, I got no room for the Lang in there!

I like to have her close to the house, the shop is a 150 ft away from the house. Close to the Bar is always good!
icon_smile.gif

My box rusts a bit too along with the area below the door closest to the firebox. I think he uses hot-rolled steel versus cold rolled. Hot rolled, if not sandblasted, has a mill scale which can cause pre-mature rust. Hey, have you noticed the sheen on the Lang seems to be more glossy than the flat temp paint sold at the big box stores?

I know what ya mean about the proximity issues--this is why I am thinking Gazebo or something---my garage works in the winter but we like to be out back--(near the kitchen) in the summer.

I wish I had a sandblaster, I used Napa gasket remover to pull all the yellow paint off my twig-burner project this afternoon.

Take Care Dan,

Steve

I use an antique coffee grinder. I set it almost to as fine as I can get it then back off 1 turn and it's adjusted for pepper in bulk. I tried the drill thing and even with my big mill I had to refill it 3 or more times. The coffee grinder gets filled once and gives me just between 1/4 cup and 1/3 cup ground pepper. I think I paid less than $25.00 on ebay for that old cast iron coffee mill. Sure works great! I'll post pics when i grind pepper next time (this weekend?)

heh heh.

Tool time all the way, why stop at the 3/8" drive makita, I'll have to pull out the 1/2" hammer drill for those big recipes........

I've tried/used a coffee mill, but unless you pulse the trigger really slow and careful, you can wind up with powder, not crushed corns.

Guess it comes down to the texture you want, like using kosher salt or sea salt, it's a bigger crystal, not like garlic powder which is a dust......

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky