Lump Charcoal On SALE at Home Depot

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I hit up my local Home Depot and grabbed a few bags of the various charcoals we have discussed. Ill so some tests if I have the time, but for me I just want to try them without any sort of "scientific effort" and just see if I notice any difference without paying any more attention than I normally would.

They of course carry the "Embers" brand, which as other have mentioned is just Royal Oak briquettes branded for Home Depot. I think it is a bit silly they change the name, cause Home Depot already caries the Royal Oak name in lump... Anyway, I grabbed some bags of the Embers which they have on sale for $4.99/bag (funny that it is a dollar more than Lowes has the actual Red Oak brand) and I grabbed some Kingsford comp, which I would consider worth the price difference only to get rid of the binders (which it does). Ill be using the Kingsford in a competition I have coming up, only because I am used to using it, and don't want to switch it up now, but will look into using other options after the cook. (I also grabbed the Kingsford Original cause I like to have a couple of the 18lb bags around, and 2 for 19.99 is decent. Additionally I grabbed a bag of the "longer lasting" option which says it lasts 28% longer, though there is some confusion because the comp briquettes say "Our longest Lasting briquette" on the bag, so in curious to see the bur times between the two.

I read a really good post on a comparison between KBB and the K comp, they also threw Wicked Good in there too, and the differences in burn time and heat were not significant between the two Kingsford bags, but the ash was significantly less on the Comp option, and they also give a detailed explanation about what is in them all and why. Anyway, worth a Google if you want to see the details.

I can tell you that consistency is still key when it comes to the blue bag. I am relatively new to charcoal smokers, but used charcoal in my kettle for a long time, and Kingsford blue has been the one ive always been able to pretty much calculate exactly what my temp is gonna be and for how long.

Lowes has dropped their twin pack of 18.6 lb Kingsford bags to $9.88.  Possibly a one day only sale.  Website says "through 5/24."  That tells me HD will drop their prices tomorrow.  In the past it has been on the Tuesday before Memorial Day.  Not this year.

BTW, I have an experiment in progress just to check ash production between Kingsford BB (previous formulation) and Royal Oak Ridge (current formulation).  Kingsford is done.  Doing the Royal Oak Ridge as I type.  Will start another thread with the results.  Should be done in about an hour or so, depending on how long the RO burns.  Temps between the two are almost identical.  The Royal Oak didn't have quite as acrid a smell when starting up, but that's the only thing I've noticed so far. 

Edit: update on the experiment.  The RO is burning longer and hotter under similar conditions.  It is 25% more dense than the Kingsford prior formula, which could account for the difference.  I'll publish the details later.  The RO is still burning. 

Last edited:

Lowes has dropped their twin pack of 18.6 lb Kingsford bags to $9.88.  Possibly a one day only sale.  Website says "through 5/24."  That tells me HD will drop their prices tomorrow.  In the past it has been on the Tuesday before Memorial Day.  Not this year.

BTW, I have an experiment in progress just to check ash production between Kingsford BB (previous formulation) and Royal Oak Ridge (current formulation).  Kingsford is done.  Doing the Royal Oak Ridge as I type.  Will start another thread with the results.  Should be done in about an hour or so, depending on how long the RO burns.  Temps between the two are almost identical.  The Royal Oak didn't have quite as acrid a smell when starting up, but that's the only thing I've noticed so far. 

Edit: update on the experiment.  The RO is burning longer and hotter under similar conditions.  It is 25% more dense than the Kingsford prior formula, which could account for the difference.  I'll publish the details later.  The RO is still burning. 
Great info, thanks! Post a link to your new thread when you get a chance.

Although, it looks like that puts it at about one penny more per pound than the price they currently have the royal oak charcoal at. If you come to the conclusion that the royal oak is better than ill probably just grab a bunch that.

Just to clarify @Noboundaries, are you testing the regular Royal Oak in the red bag that lowes has for $4.00 right now, or are you testing the professional food service one others were talking about?

Although, it looks like that puts it at about one penny more per pound than the price they currently have the royal oak charcoal at. If you come to the conclusion that the royal oak is better than ill probably just grab a bunch that.

Just to clarify @Noboundaries, are you testing the regular Royal Oak in the red bag that lowes has for $4.00 right now, or are you testing the professional food service one others were talking about?
Link to my test.  You decide.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...ttes-burn-temperature-time-and-ash-comparison

I'm hoping the double bag packs of Kingsford Blue go on sale at Lowes next weekend. Some Memorial Day weekends in the past they were $9.99 instead of the usual $19.99. Used to stock up quite a bit for that price.

Your wish was granted! Lowe's has the 2-pack Kingsford (18.6# ea) for $9.88!

FYI, Lowes also has 2-pk of Royal Oak "Ridge" (15.4# ea) for $8.00!

Noboundaries just posted results of a comparison test of sorts comparing KBB vs RO in another post today if you are interested.

Happy Smoking, Michael

I just now got on this thread. I was waiting to see if this was going to turn into a weeing contest about who was using what and you're so stupid for using that. But, I'm glad to see that this is more technical.

For years, I used K blue because that was all we had. I have tried Stubbs, cowboy, etc in the past but was not impressed. I have a very comp cooker friend that is a RO team member and he turned me on to that. No freebies, however. Now I use both bricks and lump. I put about 2/3 of a basket of lump in the FB with a valley in the middle. I start about a full chimney of brics. When they are really going, I pour them into the valley in the lump. I pull some of the lump over the lit brick. While that is heating, I will have about 3 small splits warming on top of the FB. When the bric/lump combination gets fully involved, I put a couple of the splits in and close the CC to heat up to cook temp. When the temp is right in the CC, I put the meat in and add a couple of splits, replacing the splits with a few more to pre-heat.

The charcoal gets really hot and makes a really good coal bed. The pre-heated splits ignite rapidly and that keeps the temp from dropping too low. The rapid ignition keeps the splits from smoldering and keeps the smoke clean. I don't have very much ash and the fire is very manageable.

I hope this has not been too long winded. This is just my method and it works very well for me. I sincerely hope that it helps others.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky