Looking for a slow smoker recommendation that takes wood chips.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

keitht2

Original poster
Nov 18, 2023
I'm looking at smokers from Smokin Tex such as the Pro 1460, versus Pro Smokers, vs Smokin it, such as the Pro Classic 100. Or even the Pro Max 100 which is a bit over my comfort range in money.

What would you recommend?

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
These units are all so dang expensive. I cook sausage and bacon and I've been using my WSM with a temp controller to pretty good effect, but it's not convenient and not as precise for those low temps. Out of the 3, I like the Smokin-it with the PID controller and it's got that convection fan. It doesn't hurt I'm a fan of 2guysandacoller youtube channel and that's what he uses.

I've had the Cabelas version of the Pro 100 for around 20 years now, tough to beat. These days you have to purchase thru the maker, PS Seasonings. Still works like new, never a glitch, great customer service if you need it. RAY

003.jpg

Reactions: JLeonard
These units are all so dang expensive. I cook sausage and bacon and I've been using my WSM with a temp controller to pretty good effect, but it's not convenient and not as precise for those low temps. Out of the 3, I like the Smokin-it with the PID controller and it's got that convection fan. It doesn't hurt I'm a fan of 2guysandacoller youtube channel and that's what he uses.
You are correct about the high prices! Sometimes I wonder how much better these are than just running down to menards and picking up one of their Mastercraft units for a couple hundred bucks??

I've had the Cabelas version of the Pro 100 for around 20 years now, tough to beat. These days you have to purchase thru the maker, PS Seasonings. Still works like new, never a glitch, great customer service if you need it. RAY

View attachment 683377

I looked at the Cabelas model. What I don't like is that it uses sawdust only. And I live in the woods and want to be able to cut my own hickory chips, vs just buying all my fuel.

Check Facebook, craigslist or any other places that sell used items. You can usually find them on the cheap if you have patience.

Chris

Check Facebook, craigslist or any other places that sell used items. You can usually find them on the cheap if you have patience.

Chris
I've been doing just that. So far mostly cheap stuff coming up.

I've got a Smokin Tex unit I bought used recently. They recommend small chunks not chips as to the similar builds. It's built very well but as with all analog units the temp swings are something you have to learn and play there curve unless you add a PID controller. I plan on doing that. If I were buying new or buy the model with customer lt in digital PID control. I'll also add that from my little experience with this don't expect much if any smoke when running below 180ish. Note there is also a significant temp difference between the top rack and bottom rack that's near the element.

Reactions: keitht2
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky