Long brisket rest question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DustyJoe84

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 15, 2018
Kansas City
I cooked a 12 lb (after trimming) brisket a few weeks ago and it ended up finishing way early. I pulled it off at 203° IT. I did the tried and true FTC method and held it for 6 hrs. When I went to slice it, it was still piping hot and I had difficulty getting slices because it wanted to just fall apart. It was almost like pot roast.

My question is, should I have let it rest for a bit outside the cooler before putting it in? Or just pull it off the smoker earlier, like 195ish if it looks like it's going to need to be held for a while? I'm guessing it continued cooking in the cooler.

What would you all do?

When I pull mine I always let it sit in the open on the counter for 10-15 minutes. I feel it stops the cooking.
Then I pan and cover with foil then rest.

Reactions: DustyJoe84
I throw them into the yeti in a foil pan and leave the lid open for 30 to 45 minutes before I cover it with foil and close the lid.
It holds in the yeti for 6 to 8 hours and comes out to hot to slice so I let it sit on the cutting board for 20 to 30 minutes before slicing.
There a bunch of ways you can do it, I know a lot of people that pull them out of the smoker when the prob still has a touch of resistance then the put them in the yeti right away for an hour or two, then let them rest on the cutting board for 30 minutes before slicing.

Reactions: DustyJoe84
I flat out love all brisket, even the few that I've messed up. If they end up crumbly I used them in tacos, nachos, tamales,beans or chop it for chopped beef sandwiches.
It's all good too me.:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky