Logistics of Feeding 100 people

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Skiwez

Original poster
Oct 2, 2023
Hi All,

New to this forum lotsa great info here. I started in the meet and greet but now found this forum probably more appropriate here.

So I've started an annual BBQ that has grown to about 100 people. But I'm starting to run into logistic problems. For example I cook the pulled pork the day before and reheat the day of. It's OK but not like the way it tastes when fresh? How do I keep that fresh taste and yet serve people at 3:00pm. I also do ribs. along with a bunch of sides. How long can the cooked butts stay in a cooler/cambro and stay hot enough to pull ?

Reactions: JLeonard
Not sure on your method but imo my pp is actually better the next day. Figuring 1/4# per person thats 25# depending on your smoker that should be doable. Just a suggestion if you are going to reheat maybe have your IT maybe a little less maybe 190-200 good luck

I always plan to reheat PP a couple days later when cooking for a group
I used an electric toaster and it held 3 butts easily. Takes about 3 hours to got hot for serving

Paging Jeff jcam222 jcam222 he’s done some pretty serious mass quantities

I've been able.to keep pork in a cooler for 8 hours and it was still at 155 when I pulled them out.

Put hot water in the cooler to raise the temp first. Then dump ut out. Line with towels or an old blanket. Put the butts In and wrap with more towels or blankets. Will keep for several hours.

So cook the butts over night. Cooler then and move to the other meats.

Reactions: gmc2003
Thanks all, great suggestions. I was thinking I was cheating by reheating, guess it's not as big of a deal as I thought.

No problem at all reheating pulled pork I either defat the juices and add that back to the packages before freezing or add a finishing sauce before I reheat. As for ribs if doing something like 3-2-1 go ahead and do the 3 and the 2 then freeze when thawed for the event smoke them the last hour. When smoking butts I try to do some extra so after pulling I can vacuum seal the leftovers in meal size packages for quick easy meals

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky