Korean Recipes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

khokhonutt

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
Concord, NC
These are not links, but I wasn't sure where else to post this.

Inspired by a spice discussion over in the General threads topic, here are a few of my favorite Korean recipes. My love for Korean food started with a friend's wife, who used to cook for us all the time. Her kimchi (recipe below) was some of the best I've had. Later my family and I were stationed in Korea for 2 years. Since that time, I've done my best to gather recipes for food I missed after coming back to the states.

One key, at least to me, is finding some of the Korean supplies. The Korean peppers (kochu) have a very distinctive taste and to really get some of these flavors right, it helps to find a local Korean market. I buy my kochu in bulk there, along with what's called kochu jong, which is a paste made with the peppers.

I've also been successful in finding Soju, here in the states. This is the Korean version of Saki. I prefer Soju, both for drinking and cooking. You'll see it used in the recipes below.

Bulgogi:

Bulgogi is typically a beef dish, but I've also seen it made with chicken. It's a mild, almost teriyaki flavor that most Americans will like.

Ingredients:
===========

Marinade:
========
5 tablespoon Soy sauce
3 tablespoon Sugar
4 Green onions, finely shredded
3 Large garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon Ground white pepper
2 tablespoon Soju, sake or dry white wine
2 tablespoon Sesame seeds, toasted
1 tablespoon Sesame oil
2 Carrots, thinly sliced

2 pounds thinly sliced beef

Directions:
==========
Mix all ingredients except for the sesame oil. Add to the sliced meat and marinate for 30 min to 1 hour at room temperature. Add the sesame oil just before cooking. Bar-b-que the meat slices over a charcoal grill or a portable table top grill. Turn only once. A WOK can be used if a grill is not available. Serve with rice.

Kimchi:

Some folks are leary of kimchi, both for the spice and the stories folks have heard of bowls buried in the ground for months. While it's true that the older kimchi gets, the funkier it gets, fresh kimchi is very tastey. The key, to me, is to remember that the Koreans use this as kind of a hot sauce addition to meals, eating small bites with their meal. I like it alone with rice, but not everyone does. The other interesting thing about kimchi is how versitile it is. While fresh, it's typically eaten cold. As it starts to age, it can be used in stir fry, pancakes or soup.

Ingredients:
===========
2 Bunches cabbage (Romaine lettuce)
Or
2 Oriental radish

1/2 cup Chunk salt
3 Large cloves garlic
2 1/2 inches fresh ginger root
1 Bunch scallions
10 tablespoons Hot pepper (Kochu - 1 bag)
6 tablespoons Sugar
2 tablespoons Bokhap miwon (MSG)
2 tablespoons Salt

Directions:
==========
Chop up the cabbage. Turn over and soak in the chunk salt and water for about 1/2 hour. (if your making radish kimshe you don't have to soak). After the 1/2 hour rinse well in fresh water and put in a colander to drain totally. In a very large Tupperware bowl combine the rest of the ingredients and the cabbage or radish and mix well for about 3-5 minutes until it turns red and tastes right. Seal bowl and let sit in the sun for 1-2 days then refrigerate. Eat with rice or fry when it gets a little old.

Spicy Fried Pork:

This is my absolute favorite Korean recipe. It's spicy, but not in an overpowering way. It's pretty easy to make, just allow plenty of time for the marinade.

Ingredients:
===========
1 pount pork loin, sliced thin
1 Spring onion
1 Clove garlic
1 1/2 inch Fresh ginger
2 tablespoon Hot pepper paste
2 tablespoon Soju
3 oz Red pepper
3 oz Onions
3 tablespoon Vegetable oil

Directions:
==========
Cut pork in small thin slices. Cut the spring onion crosswise into very fine rounds. Combine pork, spring onion and chopped garlic, ground ginger, bean paste in a bowl. Mix well and allow to marinate at least 1 hour (a couple of days is best).

When you're ready to cook, the pork can be grilled or stir fried. To stir fry, make sure your pan is hot and fry in batches. To grill, cook the meat over the grill until finished and heat the marinade and vegitables separately.

Stir Fry method:
Cut pepper into 1/2'' squares. Cut the onion into 1/2'' cubes and separate layers. Just before serving put the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and set over high heat. When hot, put in the pork together with all its marinade and stir fry until the pork is white all the way through. Add the red pepper and onion. Stir and cook for another couple minutes over high heat. Serve with rice.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the recipes Jeff.  My step-mother was Korean as is my little brother.

My Bulgogi recipe is a little different from yours (I'll dig it out and post it later) but I wager just as tasty.  Also, my recipe calls for a 24 hour marinade and includes brown sugar.  Makes for a great carmelized coating.

I have also used pork (teiji) for bulgogi and it is awesome.  Some thin sliced pork loin in place of the beef....super.

Thanks for the recipes Jeff.  My step-mother was Korean as is my little brother.

My Bulgogi recipe is a little different from yours (I'll dig it out and post it later) but I wager just as tasty.  Also, my recipe calls for a 24 hour marinade and includes brown sugar.  Makes for a great carmelized coating.

I have also used pork (teiji) for bulgogi and it is awesome.  Some thin sliced pork loin in place of the beef....super.
Very cool. Yeah, truth be told, most of my Korean recipes I'll marinade for several days if I have time. I'm also a firm believer that the flavor is much better if the last few hours of that time is at room temperature.

I like the brown sugar idea. I'll bet that's tasty. I'm sure the pork works well, too.

I'd love to see any recipes you have. I'm always looking to add to my collection and improve what I've already put together.

Thanks For the Recipes. I have made kim chee  and like it when it's fresh. Also bibimbap is my favorite for lunch. Just watch out for that 600 deg F bowl. Remember that Soju is a distilled spirit.I will sneak up on you like a ninja. After the second glass it tastes like white wine.
[h1] [/h1]

Last edited:
Good stuff Khokhonutt!  When I make Bulgogi I partially freeze my steak to make it a lil easier to slice those thin strips.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky