Just finished building my smokehouse but still not sure about propane or electric.. please advise?!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

grillmaster brian

Original poster
Apr 4, 2023
Indiana
As you can see it's finished tongue and groove. It's set up for propane but I can change it if necessary. I want to use propane but have read some things about losing flames and gas build ups.. I know to open the door before restarting it but just feel I need to hear more pros and cons for both.. thank you in advance to all of you that help!
20230317_144339.jpg

Attachments

• 20230402_133835.jpg
    20230402_133835.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230404_105642.jpg
    20230404_105642.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: SmokinEdge
Nice build.
Not sure of your climate but that burner looks big for the space. Also the air inlet looks to small if it’s just the one on the side. I would suggest more air inlet or change burners and use a long black iron pipe to put the Venturi outside with the burner inside. I would go to the Tejas Smokers web page for that. They also have the safety switch too. My smokehouse house is 3’x3’x7’ I use a turkey fryer with a cast iron pan on top I also have a needle valve on the gas supply line, this is a must.

On the other hand it looks like you may be able to use a hot plate (electric) really depending on the temperature range you wish to run.

I'd sure vote electric. Lot more precise temperature control than with gas. With those beautiful wood walls you want to keep the temperature on a short leash. (To say nothing of burning down other valuable structures.) There's a lot of wall area there (for power losses) but I think at <200F smoke temps you should be fine with 120V/15A service. (or maybe two 15A circuits) But it'd be nice if you have 240V 30 or 40A on tap if you want faster warm up or plan to do a lot of door-opening. I'd maybe recommend a nice precision power-controlled element for a CI pan with chips or pellets for constant smoke generation (about 600W should do the trick) and then another element (1500W or so) on a thermostatic (on-off) control to regulate cook temperature.

Nice build.
Not sure of your climate but that burner looks big for the space. Also the air inlet looks to small if it’s just the one on the side. I would suggest more air inlet or change burners and use a long black iron pipe to put the Venturi outside with the burner inside. I would go to the Tejas Smokers web page for that. They also have the safety switch too. My smokehouse house is 3’x3’x7’ I use a turkey fryer with a cast iron pan on top I also have a needle valve on the gas supply line, this is a must.

On the other hand it looks like you may be able to use a hot plate (electric) really depending on the temperature range you wish to run.

Attachments

• IMG_20230216_150238_01.jpg
    IMG_20230216_150238_01.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 10
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky