Just curious if anyone else has this problem

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
HOAs are intrinsically evil, and all that is wrong with America, imo. The people that gravitate to HOA boards are pathologically controling little martinets and love having "power" over others, but can only do so under the pretext of "civic mindedness".  
hopmad.gif

779.gif

I live in the 'burbs, but when I bought my house I made sure there were no covenants or HOAs. I practice being a good neighbor, but if I wanted to paint the house that I own  Fire Engine Red, try and stop me!
smilie_flagge13.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: timstalltaletav
I am on almost 1 1/4 acres... I will let neighbors know when I'm firing it up to see If they have anything they want to put on it.... I've not heard any complaints about my smokers....

I have a 9000 sq foot lot and could care less what my neighbors say. Empty lot behind me kid on one said revs his truck makes some noise but I never say a thing people on the other side are dope smokers and grow pot so they sure wont complain (sure glad they are moving) but that house is slated to be destroyed then the owner is just going to sell the lot. Everyone minds their own business so no issues ever.

It's amazing where we've come to as a society that we have to check the local codes and ordinances before we cook our food. Somewhere we went drastically off track from what our forefathers intended. If my neighbor said something to me, I'd tell him to go.....(I can't say the rest because this is a pg forum). SMOKE ON!!! :grilling_smilie: :usa:

I live in a regular neighborhood the only comments I get are "Man that sure smells good"   I gave out samples a few times.

Gary

In our area we have "spare the air" regulations which prohibit many from burning wood and other air quality harming products. This is more serious during the winter months.

I finally got off my backside and called the agency who cleared the air for me saying that their laws do not pertain to those who are cooking foods.

So I can smoke all I want and my neighbors cant do a thing about it except be nice to me if they ever want some the goodies I smoke.

Last edited:
It's amazing where we've come to as a society that we have to check the local codes and ordinances before we cook our food. Somewhere we went drastically off track from what our forefathers intended. If my neighbor said something to me, I'd tell him to go.....(I can't say the rest because this is a pg forum). SMOKE ON!!! :grilling_smilie: :usa:
I agree with you, we also have become so relayant on electricity and natural gas that heaven forbid there was a major disaster we would be screwed if we couldn't call dominos.

We'll send ya some more hurricanes so you can practice!
You laugh but that's the reason why I bought a charcoal smoker bc of hurricane sandy. Thank goodness I wasn't effected but for hurricane Irene we didn't have power for a few hours.

Hurricanes usually mean no power for 4 to 6 weeks average. BUT I now have a huge generator. Three times what the house needs, including freeezers, central A/C, elevator, air compressor and welder.

Then of course is the portable. It will handle everything but uses gasoline which means re-fueling and finding gas when the pumps have no electricity, or gasoline rationing.

Sorry, I'll return your thread back, and please accept my appoligy for hijacking it.

<Hijack /off>

Hurricanes usually mean no power for 4 to 6 weeks average. BUT I now have a huge generator. Three times what the house needs, including freeezers, central A/C, elevator, air compressor and welder.

Then of course is the portable. It will handle everything but uses gasoline which means re-fueling and finding gas when the pumps have no electricity, or gasoline rationing.

Sorry, I'll return your thread back, and please accept my appoligy for hijacking it.

Absolutely no apology needed, I'm actually glad you said that about hurricanes. Even though smoking is a hobby it should be considered a necessity. IMHO

The good about our little neighborhood:

My wife and I's closest neighbors that aren't family are 40 acres away across the pasture. They come over a couple times a year, usually 4th of July and New Years for fireworks and Q, and pitch in their share or more since I'm the one putting in the time to fix the vittles. Truthfully they might as well be family. We inherited our place from my grandparents and they inherited their property from theirs. It's been the same families living next to each other in our neck of the woods for the better parts of 60 years and we all get along really well. Robert Frost was right I think about fences and neighbors.

The only "outsider", if you will, is the retired Columbian gentleman who married into the family next door about 45 years ago. He's a good guy and I've been trading recipes and coffee with him for years. I always give him grief but there isn't much out there better than a good cup of Columbian coffee and I don't bother asking his sources.

Can't all be good right?:

Our closest neighbors are my mom and dad down at the end of our quarter mile long driveway and what a free loading bunch they are lol. They show up just about every Tuesday evening when the smoke is going and just expect me to feed them like I owe them or something. Have to say at least mom usually brings potato salad and deviled eggs so we'll call it even.

What is bbq though if not something to bring people together and it doesn't get much better than sitting around a table with your family, laughing, eating, and making memories.

I also live on a 50x100 lot, but no HOA. Lucky for me all the neighbors are fine with it.... but I generally only fire up my smoker 1 or 2 times a month. I did scare one neighbor last Thanksgiving when I fired up my smoker at 5:00 AM. He woke up smelling smoke in his house and apparently spent 10-15 minutes looking around his house for something on fire - once he stepped outside and saw me he realized what was going on. I took him over a plate of smoked Turkey later as an apology for the rude awakening.
biggrin.gif

I also live on a 50x100 lot, but no HOA. Lucky for me all the neighbors are fine with it.... but I generally only fire up my smoker 1 or 2 times a month. I did scare one neighbor last Thanksgiving when I fired up my smoker at 5:00 AM. He woke up smelling smoke in his house and apparently spent 10-15 minutes looking around his house for something on fire - once he stepped outside and saw me he realized what was going on. I took him over a plate of smoked Turkey later as an apology for the rude awakening. :biggrin:

Thats funny.

My unfriendly neighbors finally moved.  Instead of using the kids names, he would call them "Boy" and "Girl" go do this or that.  Whenever I smoked they would slam their windows shut really loudly.  I would just look up and smile and wave.  Never once said anything about it, but also never once came over when invited for a bbq or party either.  Hope Chicago likes them cuz I sure didn't.  Once when they let their yard get out of hand and the grass was about a foot tall, I offered the son my lawn mower instead of using the non powered push reel mower they had.  The dad said, 'the boy don't need no gas lawn mower'.  It took him about 4 hours to cut their small yard.  Many other stories...but the new neighbors are great...and they own a smoker...we get along great.  And the other new neighbors behind us that just moved in a week ago have a smoker too, but haven't met them yet.  Neighborhood is looking up...if someone complained to me, I would try to be nice to them and say sorry, but there isn't anything I can do about it.  May invite them over next time I Q depending on how they would react.  If they make a big deal of it, I would tell them to feel free to call the cops or fire department and then tell the cops or visitors to come back at dinner time and reap the rewards.  And I would then make it a point to smoke something every weekend for a month just to spite them.

I live in an apartment complex for now and was a bit apprehensive of reactions when I started smokin' here, but after sharing a bit with any neighbors who poked their noses out and keeping communication lines open there's been no complaints.  Have even had a couple locals ask advice and have made a few friends along the way. 

I've always been a firm believer in doin' my "thing" as long as I'm respectful of others and my "thing" isn't illegal or immoral ;)

This is either your neighbor or it's you... I have no complaints living on the edge of a working farm.

Big Smo & Alexander King - My Neighbors:

EDIT: I literally typed this and walked outside to check the cheese and hear a gunshot that sounded like it came from the back field.. No doubt there's one less deer in the herd right now. Damn people can't even wait until rifle season to shoot.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky