Judging a KCBS event

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

unclebubbas bbq

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
Rocky Hill, CT
Back in June me and my son took a class to become certified KCBS contest judges. We always talked about competing and figured that if we knew what the judges are looking for then it should help us to compete. There was also an event that weekend and we had an opportunity to walk around and talk to several of the teams. Many of them showed us their set ups and shared cooking times along with many tips and techniques. What we took away from it all is the amazing brotherhood between the teams who are willing to share and help out their fellow competitors and the up & comers

This past weekend I judged my first event in New London, CT and met more great people. Fellow judges who came as far as Knoxville, TN. and cooking teams from all over the Northeast. The food I tasted was amazing!!!  Now I know what really good brisket taste like. Afterword I walked around and talked with a few of the teams, most were packing up for the day and were busy but they still took the time to talk with me. I noticed that many of the teams were either cooking on a UDS or a WSM. There were a few high $$$ rigs there but not as many as you would think. There is a lot that goes into competing, hopefully I can get there on day. Overall a great experience, hope everyone gets a chance to go to or even compete in a event.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky