Jerky, Nuts and a Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mmorris_56

Original poster
Jun 9, 2018
Eastern Wyoming
More fun on the Pit Boss this week. Making snacks and dinner for a fishing trip this weekend. Decided on beef jerky and almonds/peanuts for the snacks and brisket for the dinner. I used a store-bought jerky cure/spice and the leanest roast I could find (ended up being a London broil of all things). It turned out great. I did not get any finished product pics because a) it looked like beef jerky and b) I forgot before packaging. The peanuts/ almonds also came out great. Again, no pics because they look like peanuts and almonds. Basic details as follows:

-Comp. Blend pellets
-200 to 250 degrees for both smokes

Jerky
-Meat sliced 1/4” thick
-Jerky cured to package specs
-Smoked ~2 hrs 15 min until 165 degrees

Nuts (per pound)
- 2 T melted butter
-1 T salt
-1 t garlic powder
-1/2 t cayenne
-Smoked ~2 hours until nuts were on the drier side

I’ll be starting the brisket tomorrow morning and will update then. Of course, brisket p0rn to accompany the updates.

Reactions: Rings Я Us
Update with brisket. Base layer of kosher salt, minced garlic and coarse black pepper. Then a layer of storebought rub. Then a layer of Montreal steak seasoning. Smoked with competition blend pellets at 250 for 4-5 hours uncovered. Wrapped in foil at 165 internal and smoked another 4 hours until ~200 internal. Rested 2 hours and then cut. Turned out amazing. Very flavorful, tender and juicy.

3EC1BAB0-2C0A-47AE-9862-918291242866.jpeg
Before cooking.

AE70C242-8DBD-4A23-8E22-F391C452CD18.jpeg
Before wrapping.

CC822C77-452A-4618-984B-F33425B12AAE.jpeg
Finished product.

73735833-3FC2-4A72-9771-E01D1BA77621.jpeg
Close up.

I don’t have a clue. P3-P5 usually gives me a good range between 225 and 275 depending on conditions. The manual warns you that the fire may die due to slower pellet feeding at P6-P7. I’m planning on smoking cheeses this winter but I’ll most likely be using the A-Maze-N smoke tube for that. I wouldn’t be getting an accurate low end temp at this time of year...not too many shady spots. The sun heats its up to about 150 on a sunny day without fire.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky