Jalapeno bird

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bertman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 27, 2013
Heartland of America
We've had a few jalapeños ready, and I had a couple of whole fryers that I intended to smoke, so I thought I'd use the jalapeños in a brine. I thought for sure someone would have already tried it, but I searched here and couldn't find anything.

I used 2/3 c of kosher salt, 2/3 c brown sugar, 1T of garlic powder, pureed four jalapeños in a food processor, and added everything to a gallon of water. The jalapeños didn't cause much irritation when I processed them, which made me worried they would be pretty mild.
IMG_20180606_202032635.jpg

I brined them inside ziplocs inside of containers for about 24 hours, then rinsed them and let them dry a little in the fridge for another 24 hours.
IMG_20180606_203549301.jpg
IMG_20180608_154359114.jpg

Smoked them using cherry pellets and mesquite chunks (water, lime juice, and fresh garlic in the water tray) until they reached 165 (about two hours). Then I grilled them to crisp up the skin (I usually don't do this, but many of you suggest it).
IMG_20180608_173831005.jpg
IMG_20180608_173845553.jpg
IMG_20180608_174933373.jpg
This turned out incredible. There is just the slightest hint of heat from the jalapeños, and I think I'll have to use a few more peppers next time. Maybe even inject.

My wife and daughter loved it, and we all voted unanimously to save what we didn't eat (and we put the hurt on it) for enchiladas or something later. But I'm definitely using jalapeños in a brine again!

Bert you saying you grew the peppers and already picked some ?
Don't know if you do any curing or not , but cured bird is awesome . 1 TBLS cure 1 to a gallon of your brine . Let it go a couple of days .
Your bird looks great !

Birds look mighty fine.

Point for sure.

Chris

Bert you saying you grew the peppers and already picked some ?
Don't know if you do any curing or not , but cured bird is awesome . 1 TBLS cure 1 to a gallon of your brine . Let it go a couple of days .
Your bird looks great !
Yes, we have a few pepper plants in the garden, and they are starting to produce.

No sugar in your cure, or is the cure in addition to a brine similar to mine?

Yes, we have a few pepper plants in the garden, and they are starting to produce.

No sugar in your cure, or is the cure in addition to a brine similar to mine?
My jalapenos are 2 foot tall and just now getting flowers .

I use the low salt version of Pop's brine . Yeah I was saying if you wanted to try it just add the cure to your gallon of brine . Sounds ( and looks ) like you nailed it though. Just something else to try if you are interested .

My jalapenos are 2 foot tall and just now getting flowers .

I use the low salt version of Pop's brine . Yeah I was saying if you wanted to try it just add the cure to your gallon of brine . Sounds ( and looks ) like you nailed it though. Just something else to try if you are interested .
Ours aren't quite that tall, and we've only had eight or ten good peppers so far. I was surprised to check your profile and see that you are directly across the state from me. I wondered based on your pepper plant status if you weren't further north.

I based this off of Pop's recipe (used it a lot!), but thought I'd go without the cure. I'm going to have to try it with the cure and some more (or spicier) peppers next time.

We've had a few jalapeños ready, and I had a couple of whole fryers that I intended to smoke, so I thought I'd use the jalapeños in a brine. I thought for sure someone would have already tried it, but I searched here and couldn't find anything.

I used 2/3 c of kosher salt, 2/3 c brown sugar, 1T of garlic powder, pureed four jalapeños in a food processor, and added everything to a gallon of water. The jalapeños didn't cause much irritation when I processed them, which made me worried they would be pretty mild.
View attachment 366684

I brined them inside ziplocs inside of containers for about 24 hours, then rinsed them and let them dry a little in the fridge for another 24 hours.
View attachment 366685
View attachment 366686

Smoked them using cherry pellets and mesquite chunks (water, lime juice, and fresh garlic in the water tray) until they reached 165 (about two hours). Then I grilled them to crisp up the skin (I usually don't do this, but many of you suggest it).
View attachment 366687
View attachment 366688
View attachment 366689
This turned out incredible. There is just the slightest hint of heat from the jalapeños, and I think I'll have to use a few more peppers next time. Maybe even inject.

My wife and daughter loved it, and we all voted unanimously to save what we didn't eat (and we put the hurt on it) for enchiladas or something later. But I'm definitely using jalapeños in a brine again!

Love it, but I think maybe try habaneros if you would like a little kick along with a nice fruitiness

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky