Italian Fauxtato Leek Soup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
I do a bulk produce pickup order every 10 days or so lately. We are luck in that the local huge produce wholesaler and farm is selling direct to public right now. They had leeks on today's updated list. I thought why not buy some and figure out something to do with them later lol. In my haul was also some radishes so the idea started to form. Toss in the fact we have like an inch or two of snow in Ohio today and soup was the ticket. I have done a killer Loaded Faked Potato soup in the past and thought I would just adapt that a bit so here it is.

The process is two separate ones that come together at the end.
First up a shot of most of the ingredients.
  • 1 large head of cauliflower
  • 2 lbs. Italian sausage
  • 2 lbs. radishes
  • 6 medium leeks
  • 1 tbsp Minced garlic
  • 8 oz. cream cheese
  • Heavy whipping cream (only to adjust viscosity at end if needed)
  • Not pictured
    • 2 tsp basil
    • 1 1/2 tsp oregano
    • 1 tsp dried parsley
    • 4 cups of chicken broth

produce.jpg

I am going to start by getting the cream base ready to roll. First up for that is to cut up the leeks. I used about 2 leeks to saute in avocado oil that will be cooked in with the soup base.
leeks frying.jpg

Once the leeks were translucent I added the 4 cups of broth, cut up head of cauliflower, cooked leeks and spices to the instant pot and set it to 10 minutes manual. Once its done I just do a quick release. Cut up the cream cheese in smaller pieces and stir in. Once that starts to melt in I just hit it with an immersion blender to come out with a nice creamy soup base. I leave it on warm to thicken up further and finish up the solid parts of the soup.
base blended.jpg

The fauxtato part in this soup is 2 lbs. of cut up red radish cooked with the rest of the leeks. I cook the radishes until they are softenting some then add the leeks. Although not reflected well in the picture I cook them down quite a bit to carmalize the veggies a bit.
radishes frying.jpg

Time for the sausage. I browned and drained 2 lbs. but set about 2/3 of a lbs. aside for garnish. Once drained I added in the veggies and cooked them together for a bit. This is pretty tasty stuff at this stage! Not gonna lie, I had a small amount of this as is for a snack lol.

sausage fried with leeks and radish.jpg

Time to bring it all together adding the veggies and sausage into the soups cream base. I let it simmer about 20 minutes to help marry the flavors. Off into a bowl so I can clean that Instant Pot.

soup finished.jpg

Finally its soup time. Plated up garnished with some of the sausage and leeks along with some parmesan cheese. This stuff is money!! I will add it to the rotation moving forward for those soup kinda days.

plated6.jpg

plated1.jpg

That's all folks!! Thanks for looking!! I am headed to have seconds :)

This is a great idea. Goes on the list. I am thinking daikon radish
i use Daikon frequently. I use Daikon mostly in dishes like scalloped or anything where I want a sliced potato replacement. In soups I use either red or Daikon as they both go taste neutral and give the potato mouthfeel.

Wow that looks like money too!!!! I bet it tastes awesome.

I really liked how you arranged the leeks around the bowl for the photo. You give new meaning to “playing with your food!”

Reactions: jcam222
Wow that looks like money too!!!! I bet it tastes awesome.

I really liked how you arranged the leeks around the bowl for the photo. You give new meaning to “playing with your food!”
Thanks!! Still working on plating and food photo skills. One of these days if life normalizes I may just take a class on it lol.

Damn Joe, I swear you need to start your own Keto place after the dust settles...
Who's Joe?
i use Daikon frequently. I use Daikon mostly in dishes like scalloped or anything where I want a sliced potato replacement. In soups I use either red or Daikon as they both go taste neutral and give the potato mouthfeel.
Get your daikon seeds?

Yuck, we got 8" of wet and heavy snow 2 weeks ago. We called that cascade concrete when I lived in Seattle.

I'm going to try a few seeds this spring, but do most in late summer. Called a winter radish.
I have 3 varieties of traditional radish to plant. They get really strong flavored in our alkaline soil. Curious to find out if they bland out in a dish as you described.

Jeff, that soup is nothing short of spectacular my friend!! Just gorgeous and that final pic sitting with the leeks, just makes one's jaw drop. I'd take a bullet for a bowl of that. Beautiful job and a big LIKE!!

The king of keto reigns supreme!!
Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky