Is there a Mayberry anymore?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JLeonard

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 17, 2020
Southaven, MS
Sorry to read of this Jim… pretty low to rob people anywhere let alone a hospital! Hope they find those responsible and THROW the book at em so hard they will never forget it!
Like I was telling ya in our texts...I'm about ready to find a off the beaten path little town to settle down in. I am so tired of being anywhere near a city.

Jim

When I moved and bought a house here on the far northwest side of Indianapolis the area was a jewel of the city for shopping, dining, etc. In the last 18 years things have just gone downhill.
Lafayette Square Mall is a huge empty building now with a huge parking lot. One by one all the restaurants left. No more Best Buys, Office Depot, Staples. Two movie theaters are just empty buildings. The big car dealerships are just overgrown lots now.
Folks got tired of having dinner or seeing a movie just to come out and find their car broken into.
I would love to move to a more rural setting like where I grew up, but we're pretty dug in now, 70ish with friends in the neighborhood and 75k still left on the mortgage.
There are lots of small towns left if you have the options, but most of us just have to deal with the reality of things the way they are now. Just don't go out at night....

Reactions: PPG1
81 cars broken into at parking lots of Baptist DeSoto, nearby hotels https://www.actionnews5.com/2023/06...to-parking-lots-baptist-desoto-nearby-hotels/

This happened less than 10 miles from my house. We are right on the border with Memphis,TN. So tired of the crime and feeling like I live in a 3rd world country or a bad sci-fi movie!
Is there any place that still has a small town feel to it?

Jim
Where I live. Unincorporated farmland out in the county. We have a few rogues around, but we all know who they are. The rest of us all know each other on at least a basic level.

I live in a town of about 450 people. Very rural but just about everyone knows each other. The town has no traffic light, one bar, small cafe and a service station that still pumps gas for you. Moved here from the big city. Never going back to the city. I love it here.

I live in a town of about 450 people. Very rural but just about everyone knows each other. The town has no traffic light, one bar, small cafe and a service station that still pumps gas for you. Moved here from the big city. Never going back to the city. I love it here.
We got a country store that has been here since I reckon the 1800's. Nothing else. Been turned into more of a tourist trap by the current owners than an actual store. https://newbystore.com/

Reactions: jcam222
When I moved and bought a house here on the far northwest side of Indianapolis the area was a jewel of the city for shopping, dining, etc. In the last 18 years things have just gone downhill.
Lafayette Square Mall is a huge empty building now with a huge parking lot. One by one all the restaurants left. No more Best Buys, Office Depot, Staples. Two movie theaters are just empty buildings. The big car dealerships are just overgrown lots now.
Folks got tired of having dinner or seeing a movie just to come out and find their car broken into.
I would love to move to a more rural setting like where I grew up, but we're pretty dug in now, 70ish with friends in the neighborhood and 75k still left on the mortgage.
There are lots of small towns left if you have the options, but most of us just have to deal with the reality of things the way they are now. Just don't go out at night....
Yup, similar here. We spent the first 10 years off of 79th street in the first house we built. It started out great but things continually degraded and with our young daughter getting ready to enter school we bit the bullet and moved far west (at that time) to Avon in 1994. Sleepy hamlet with one stop light and not much else. School system was perfect. She got through high school but after 26 years there, way too many people had settled in, the traffic was terrible, and with more people more crime etc followed. Being retired at this point we found 15 acres way outside the area in the middle of Indiana farm country and built. Sold the Avon property in one day at the height of the market, moved and will remain here. Plenty of security and personal protection :D Best part, the folks out here are so cordial. Everybody gets along, almost like we stepped back in time to the 1950s.

Like I was telling ya in our texts...I'm about ready to find a off the beaten path little town to settle down in. I am so tired of being anywhere near a city.

Jim
Jim... there's still a bit of Mayberry left up north... bring your snow shovel though! Many cars , trucks left running while stopping at convenience store or grocery store! I just did so recently as well... kinda hoped some dumb a-- would have tried taking my truck... left it running with A/C on, of course my Dobie was in the back seat! :emoji_blush:
But we wave at strangers, open doors for anyone, and start conversations while standing in line at the check out line... I don't self check out lol.

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky