Insane Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cajun Smokes

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 16, 2020
Local smoke shop brands themselves on unique sausage. Stopped in to browse and had to pick up a couple of things. Settled on ghost pepper and dragons breath for my first samples. Haven't cooked any yet but looking forward to it. As you will see below, they certainly have come up with unique ideas. This always inspires me to ideas of my own and I enjoy that. Thanks for taking a peek.

Attachments

• 20231015_163504.jpg
    20231015_163504.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 20231015_163453.jpg
    20231015_163453.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 20231013_130849.jpg
    20231013_130849.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 20231013_130846.jpg
    20231013_130846.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 95
woooweee! Man that has a great sound to it. Slice of cheddar and a ritz and I'd go to town.

Jim

woooweee! Man that has a great sound to it. Slice of cheddar and a ritz and I'd go to town.

Jim
That does sound good. Going to try that with some reaper cheese I found recently.
Those both should burn twice!!
On the way in is the only burn I hope for lol
That is quite the selection they have.
Most odd I seen was frito pie. Definitely will try that.
Can't wait for your review
Expecting to cook some this week. Definitely will let you know.

Reactions: JLeonard
Think about having some creamy coleslaw on hand . I make a Reaper hot link , and coleslaw on the bun with the sausage makes it .
Be watching for your review .
Never had that here in Louisiana (at least not in my family circle) but sounds fantastic. Just so happen to have a head of cabbage in the fridge to ferment this weekend. Additional use now planned. Thanks for the idea

Thanks for the idea
Just depends on the heat level . I use the Texas hot link from Marianski , but add in Reaper powder . It's a fresh grilling sausage , and they're pretty warm . Red pepper flakes in there too . I think the powder makes them hotter than if it's chopped peppers . I just happened to have some slaw one day and used it to cool them down some . Now it's part of the plan . 20220131_105000.jpg
Be interested if the ones you have are added peppers or a powder , and the heat level .

Just depends on the heat level . I use the Texas hot link from Marianski , but add in Reaper powder . It's a fresh grilling sausage , and they're pretty warm . Red pepper flakes in there too . I think the powder makes them hotter than if it's chopped peppers . I just happened to have some slaw one day and used it to cool them down some . Now it's part of the plan . View attachment 678740
Be interested if the ones you have are added peppers or a powder , and the heat level .
Curious what your ratio of reaper powder to ground meat is if you can share. When I cook it, I will split it down the middle to get a look. I always do this with new sausage like a meat scientist lol.

Not to change the subject but just learned of Pepper X today, world's hottest pepper. Either its new or I'm behind times, it packs a 3,000,000 + scoville. Not sure I have the balls to try this one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231017_190008_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231017_190008_Chrome.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 31
Not to change the subject but just learned of Pepper X today, world's hottest pepper. Either its new or I'm behind times, it packs a 3,000,000 + scoville. Not sure I have the balls to try this one.
Oh and it was developed by the same guy that developed the reaper. Just interesting info to me.

Curious what your ratio of reaper powder to ground meat is if you can share.
I do my stuff in 2 1/2 pound batches . I weigh the salt and cure if used , but the rest is measured or eyeballed . That's just how I do it , and I repeat the stuff I make enough that it works for me .
So for 2 1/2 pounds of grind I use a 1/2 tsp of reaper powder .
When I cook it, I will split it down the middle to get a look.
I do the same . Hard to see really because it's more powder than flakes , but you can see it in there . These were smoked , but I like the fresh better .
20190928_083455.jpg

I do my stuff in 2 1/2 pound batches . I weigh the salt and cure if used , but the rest is measured or eyeballed . That's just how I do it , and I repeat the stuff I make enough that it works for me .
So for 2 1/2 pounds of grind I use a 1/2 tsp of reaper powder .

I do the same . Hard to see really because it's more powder than flakes , but you can see it in there . These were smoked , but I like the fresh better .
View attachment 678761
Thank you, that gives me a starting point. I have been dehydrating ghost this season to grind.

That sausage seasoning in your cut visually looks very like an explosion of flavor. Love it

Reactions: chopsaw
Just depends on the heat level . I use the Texas hot link from Marianski , but add in Reaper powder . It's a fresh grilling sausage , and they're pretty warm . Red pepper flakes in there too . I think the powder makes them hotter than if it's chopped peppers . I just happened to have some slaw one day and used it to cool them down some . Now it's part of the plan . View attachment 678740
Looks great but wheres the ketchup? :emoji_laughing: :emoji_wink: :emoji_laughing:
Seriously I'd be on that like a starving man!

Jim

Reactions: chopsaw
Finally got around to cooking the gohst pepper sausage. Dropped a little jalapeno n cheese sausage next to it.
20231224_162542.jpg

Of course had to do a scientific view before eating.
20231224_163405.jpg

Very disappointed, so light on the smoke i couldnt smell or taste it, tasted like salted sausage, not much other seasoning came through. Little to no spice from the "ghost pepper". This is a one time buy for sure. Soon as I grind my dried peppers, I will make some real ghost pepper sausage.

They sure look good . You'll get it how you like it when you do your own . Make sure you post them up .

That's too bad the sausage didn't live up to its own self proclaimed fame.
I'm disappointed with most "specialty" products.
As many here, I've been making my own for some time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky